PDA

View Full Version : RE: What to do.

robnepper
02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Well. I went out yesterday in search of the apparently elusive banded laoch, and came home with a dwarf puffer. Go figure. I asked the lfs guy @ Big Al's what to get and he said that laoches would raise hell with my guppies, so I took him at his word and since dp's don't have to be kept in groups, I went for it.

Then I got home and did some double checking and found out that only the oto and one other fish are recommended tank mates. It is in my 20h with 3 corys and my female guppy. All is well for now.

Cute as a button though. Really good info at www.dwarfpuffers.com

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I have never heard of loaches not getting along with guppies. One is on the bottom and one is on the top so this is news to me.

The puffer might be another story. Some of those can't be in community tanks due to their agression.

robnepper
02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
This is what I am finding out the harder way. But that is what I'm good at I guess. If too much aggression happens, I will relocate him to his own 3 or 5 gallon and just keep him there. If it's a him. I like him. I had one a long long time ago, well before I would have been qualified to have one. and it wasn't a dp, it was a gsp, I think.

Since he was purchased for snail control, I would just move the snails into his tank and do it that way.

Pretty strange call on the part of the lfs though.

Rue
02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Puffers can be kept with bottom-dwellers, but not with other fish...too aggressive...that's why they recommend they be kept as a species only tank...

And they really do need snails to eat...lots of snails...

Colin
02-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I havnt owned a puffer of any type but my computer shop does.

massive tank, maybe 6'x3'x2', 2xdollers, 1xplec, 3xBuenos Aires tetra few others but all looked hammered, missing eyes and fins nipped to almost non-existance. I asked whats going on in the tank and they just said, "bloody puffer, we would get rid of it but we cant catch it".

Thats all I know about puffers but thats all I needed to know, for me in any case.

Good Luck

Halelorf
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
"bloody puffer, we would get rid of it but we cant catch it"

Haha, I want to get a puffer because they are so pretty and innocent looking, but watching some videos on youtube they are murderous :wink2:!

Tolley
02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
LOL Colin!!

Yeah Rob his own tank would be best thumbs2:

robnepper
02-18-2008, 01:21 AM
LOL Colin!!

Yeah Rob his own tank would be best thumbs2:
yeah. I might get him a 3 gallon and plant it. they are just so damn small, you wouldn't think they would do anything. we'll see what happens in a couple of days. I can barley see him in my 20.

there is a pic of him at the addy in my signature. he is guite camera shy yet.