PDA

View Full Version : introducing plants?

JackieofJJs
02-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey everyone :) I just had some questions about putting plants in a tank after purchasing them.

I have a 10 gallon with a lone betta in there. I'd like to buy some plants from ebay (just learned about how cheap they go :p), particularly a marimo ball (technically an algae, I know). How do I go about adding it to my tank? Do I need to leave them in another thing of water before adding them to my tank?

I'm also interested in purchasing this Petita Nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite'), but will they grow with a 15watt bulb? I'm not looking to have any huge plants that really spread all over, so I don't mind if they grow really slow, I just don't want them to die :p I also have no substrate or anything, just some gravel, but I wouldn't be opposed to adding some nutrients if needed. I'm just trying to keep things simple though lol

shalafi04
02-17-2008, 05:14 AM
i dont know if im right. but i just put the plants in the tank... makes since to me.. and all mine are alive. and i dont know about lighting or the crazy stuff. my plants are in flourite substrate... it keeps them happy

Algenco
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
unless there is a huge temp difference you can just add them to the tank. I suggest that you look them over carefully for unwanted pest first.
15watts on a 10g is questionable , you really need at least 20w

JackieofJJs
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
well I've heard something about snails sometimes that can get caught up in plants from other tanks. Not sure what kind of trouble they make, or what damage they'd do, so i was curious lol

also, the reason I dont really want substrate is because I already have the gravel and everything down. would be a lot of work to take everything out and put it back in lol Maybe when I move. I'll have to transport everything in a couple months anyway (june), so who knows.

JackieofJJs
02-17-2008, 05:20 AM
thanks, I'll look into a better bulb. they dont seem to be too much money. Just need to figure out which kind I would need...

karbomb
02-17-2008, 05:21 AM
i add plants directly to my tank.
anubias will do fine in your tank if anything it may just grow slowly. you can get plant gro or some other type of fert if you'd like. anubias needs to be attached to a rock or driftwood. you don't plant it directly in your substrate.

shalafi04
02-17-2008, 05:21 AM
also, dont put the water in with them. some places keep fish in their plant aquariums, this is where my loaches came from, and they alll have ich, you dont want a bunch of drama to unfold because of water. remember just because it is clear doesn't mean its clean. and definately give the plants a once over for any hitch-hiking snails

JackieofJJs
02-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Thanks :) I just bought a java moss ball today and a little piece of driftwood, but I didn't add the water they came in. I read that somewhere else, how you don't know what's in that water. So I dumped it and rinsed everything off before I added it.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

How do you attach a plant to a rock or driftwood?

Algenco
02-17-2008, 05:54 AM
either, they seem to do better on wood

karbomb
02-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks :) I just bought a java moss ball today and a little piece of driftwood, but I didn't add the water they came in. I read that somewhere else, how you don't know what's in that water. So I dumped it and rinsed everything off before I added it.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

How do you attach a plant to a rock or driftwood?

i wouldn't rinse the plants in tap water, use some of your tank water. de-chlorinated water is the way to go.
you can use thread or fishing line.
i just wedged my anubias in my driftwood, it had some perfect spots that the plant securely sat in.

Algenco
02-17-2008, 06:10 AM
ok, I mis-read, You can use black thread and tie them on or, attach to wood with a stapler. Now, before everyone freaks, the amount of iron released from the rusting staple is very small and will actually benefit the plant. I dose iron twice per week.

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Everyones advice to you is sterling.Only one thing will I add.You mentioned concern over pests such as snails.Most people get there trumpet snal infestations from plants.They are not a menace but if you dont want them,you can prepare a very weak bleach water mix[tablespoon to a cup and half of water] dip and rinse just the leaves 2or 3 times,it kills any snail spawn or black brush algae,the latter of which you definetly do not want.Do not dip the algae ball,do not dip the roots just rinse them well.Good luck.

fins_n_fur
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Everyones advice to you is sterling.Only one thing will I add.You mentioned concern over pests such as snails.Most people get there trumpet snal infestations from plants.They are not a menace but if you dont want them,you can prepare a very weak bleach water mix[tablespoon to a cup and half of water] dip and rinse just the leaves 2or 3 times,it kills any snail spawn or black brush algae,the latter of which you definetly do not want.Do not dip the algae ball,do not dip the roots just rinse them well.Good luck.

Good advice on the plant dipping...i just noticed snails in my tank...the only living organism in my tank outside of the minor algae...I'm doomed not to have fish, but every other live organism :hmm3grin2orange: