PDA

View Full Version : German Blue Ram and tank mate question

Daybis
02-17-2008, 04:12 AM
I am considering adding Blue Rams to my 46 gallon in the next few months. I currently have a school of 10 neon tetras, 14 zebra danios, and a synodontis. I am curious if the danio, synodontis, ram combination will be an issue. If this combination will not work out, the danios can be relocated to another tank.

Can a school of rams work with the danios and the synodontis? From the reseach I have done, it seems like everyone recommends keeping tetras with the rams so I know the tetras aren't a problem.

If my current setup will be fine, how many rams can I add to the tank? I have a few months and I plan on rearranging the tank to accomidate the rams with more hiding places and caves.

sailor
02-17-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't think there will be a problem with that combination. The neons and danios are pretty peaceful fish. With the synodontis are you talking about an upside down catfish. I don't think that will be a problem either. I would go with about 8 rams. In my 55 gal I am goig with about 12 gbr's and once I get my ich problem under control about 20 cardinals so I think your stocking levels will be ok as long as you have lots of filtration and a good weekly water change routine.

Daybis
02-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks Salor. Yes the synodotis is an upside down catfish. The catfish is peaceful so far and for the most part keeps to him self, but if I come up to the tank he will come out to say hello.

I am considering setting up a second tank and putting the danios in their own tank. I wouldn't mind getting some more glofish to go with them. Then I was thinking about going with more tetras.

I take it this would be fine as well?

Incredulous_Ed
02-17-2008, 05:25 AM
id go with 6 rams, but thats just me. You could keep the danios in there if you want, they dont cause a problem.

NickFish
02-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Rams aren't really schooling fish, although they do like to be in small colonies.
I think 4 or 6 would be ok, there may be a little competition if they breed though.