PDA

View Full Version : Neons not eating

MelonMan
02-17-2008, 04:09 AM
i bought 10 neons the other day and they are not eating the floating flake food. when it floats to the bottom they eat it but they wont go to the top. i fed them some live mosquito larvae today and they loveed it, should i give them sinking food or will they figure out that they have to feed at the top???

MelonMan
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
tetras are still not eating and im starting to get worried, can someone please tell me what to do??????

gm72
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
No worries. They are still acclimating to their new environment. They'll figure it out.

bluekrissyspikes
02-18-2008, 12:35 AM
my neons always eat from the bottom/middle. i've never seen them eat from the top unless they absolutely starving, like if i've been gone a few days

sailor
02-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Sometimes it takes a couple of days for fish to get comfortable in a new tank.
Once they settle in they will be fine.

MelonMan
02-18-2008, 06:17 AM
so i should just wait and not buy sinking foods right?

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2008, 06:23 AM
yep, wait it out

travie
02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
As long as the neons are eating when it sinks to the bottom you are fine.

Tooch
02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
It is common that they are finiky when you first add fish to the tank. Give them time to get acclimated to their surroundings. If they are eating when the food starts to fall, then they'll be fine. It wouldn't be suprising if they didn't eat at all actually. Fish can go for a week without eating and be fine, so your guys will be ok. When I added some neons to my discus tank to keep the cycle while I get the water ready for the Discus, they were doing the same thing. Now they fly to the top when it's feeding time. No worries!

Adrian
02-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Most of the tetras that I have owned always feed in the middle of the aquarium, as that is normally where they are most comfortable. They like to hang in the middle part of the tank. As long as they are eating, they should be fine. Must be nice to see a school of ten of them in your tank. Enjoy!