PDA

View Full Version : 6 new mbuna in the 75g

cichlid22c
02-17-2008, 02:40 AM
i just bouht 6 new mbuna today 2 ice blues,2bumble bee,and 2acei so far they are doing good with the other 11-12 in there but i also just added another 25lbs of moon rock a total of 100lbs and i have 50lb more if i need to make more territory when i add more fish later on

jbeining75
02-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Sounds like an awesome tank cichlid do you have any pictures....

cichlid22c
02-17-2008, 02:48 AM
no not yet we lost the cord for the camera so i have to take it the store and get them put on disk then load them onto the computer give me aweek or so to get some good pics and get the disk then ill post them

cichlid22c
02-17-2008, 05:38 AM
i just cheched my tank to see how everyone was doing and a saw one of my new bubble bees was was stuck to the filter intake so it went to the pocaline(sp) god(toilet)flush!!

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2008, 05:54 AM
dont flush fish!

it screws up the ecosystem. its best to garbage dead fish.

karbomb
02-17-2008, 06:07 AM
dont flush fish!

it screws up the ecosystem. its best to garbage dead fish.
even dead fish?

karbomb
02-17-2008, 06:08 AM
no not yet we lost the cord for the camera so i have to take it the store and get them put on disk then load them onto the computer give me aweek or so to get some good pics and get the disk then ill post them
my cat stole mine :(. do you know if they sell them somewhere?

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2008, 06:09 AM
even dead fish?

yep, even dead fish

plow
02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
yep, even dead fish

How does it screw things up?

I dont buy it.

valdega
02-18-2008, 05:15 AM
a decaying fish is actually quite healthy for the ecosystem. alot healthier than most anything else people might flush down toilets...

plow
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
a decaying fish is actually quite healthy for the ecosystem. alot healthier than most anything else people might flush down toilets...

I agree with this train of thought..

I work in the industry of water in/water out (water and sewerage systems). One dead little fish at the sewerage treament plant is no problems for any sewerage plant. I think it sounds bad that a dead fish may end up floating out at the nearest lake, but that doesn't happen.

They actually end up sold as bags of dirt at garden centers.. so think of it as fertilizer for your tomato plants.. it's all part of the circle of life.thumbs2:

However, flushing live fish down the crapper aint cool... I wouldn't do that.

Edit.. On second thoughts it depends where you live and if your toilets are connected to a communal sewerage system.. some people who live out in the sticks maye still have old style systems where the little guys will end up as a floater out in the nearest lake. I did assume the porcelain god was connected to a communal system.

AquaBANG
02-18-2008, 10:00 AM
when we have dead fish, we bury him/her in some potted plants in the garden. it sure is good for the plants.

plow
02-18-2008, 10:02 AM
when we have dead fish, we bury him/her in some potted plants in the garden. it sure is good for the plants.

I did a lot of fishing back in NZ, :1: after we cleaned the fish all the scraps went in the garden.

You should see the potatoes they grow huge!!.. I kid you not, fish are the best fertilizer.

AquaBANG
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
even the water from the water changes go to watering the garden. supposedly high in nitrates this water is good for the plants.

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Just buy a new cord for the camera.

Dixie
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
wooo hooo can't wait to see pics. What are the other 10-12 fish in with the new ones?

I haven't flushed any fish yet but if I did, they would just end up in the septic tank burried in the back yard. I use some of the old tank water to water my house plants when doing water changes.

cichlid22c
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
i have in the 75g as follows
1 powder blue
1 yellow lab
3 red zebra
1 ice blue
1 chapokoa
3 afra
3 kenyi
2 acei
1 bubble bee
2 unknown

RainMan
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I want to see pictures of these fish... sounds awesome!

I agree... fish and fish water = awesome plant fertilizer!!!

I disagree... flushing fish is bad for the ecosystem in water treatment plants. I think Plow summed that up. If you have a leach field or septic tank... I can't imagine it would hurt anything... it will get chewed up by all of the bacteria and probably create more for decomposition.

The don't flush rule is to stop people from disposing of LIVE fish. Becuase it is cruel to the fish. If they are dead... send them down the porcelin express. However, the garden sounds like a beneficial choice.

Dixie
02-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Hope you get a new cord for the camera and pics for us. I bet that tank looks great. I just got 3 little acei. Man you gotta love them. I wish they would have had more but really shouldn't get any more until I get another tank going anyway. The acei like to school though and it's so neat the way they stay together and swim back and forth across the top part of the tank. Really livens up a tank.