PDA

View Full Version : trying to get rid of small worms

jcf
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
i have 2 angelfish in a 20 gallon tank and i notice small worms (appx 1cm) when i add water. the worms are alive in that they are in motion and swirling around due to the disturbance from adding the water.

i treated the tank once with a "tank buddies" product to get rid of parasites but the worms were still there after 2 days. i have done another treatment, but am not entirely comfortable if these treatments are working. the instructions on the medication limit treatment to 2 times in a 48 hour period.

i am really concerned about getting rid of these parasites as i plan to transfer the fish to a community tank.

thanks for your assistance

kimmers318
09-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Have you ever fed any live worms to your fish? Some types of worms can and do survive in an aquarium....I know, I bought what was labeled as "blackworms" and I believe they turned out to be tubifex. My gravel vacs keep them in check....and my dwarfpuffers help when they can catch 'em. Not what I wanted in my aquarium, but I already broke it down once, removing all gravel to try to remove all worms, and still catch sight of them on occasion.

jcf
09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
no, i have not fed any live worms to the fish and i have removed the gravel from the tank. i am assuming that the worms are internal to the fish.

as i will be transfering these fist to a 55 gallon tank, i do not want to take a chance that these worms may still be present.

i am considering doing another treatment next week and see if that works. if not i will try to use a different product.

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
You need to do a good gravel cleaning and perhaps several days in a row. When you transfer the fish, transfer no water with them. Add some aquarium salt to the tank, as well. Worms don't like the salt.