PDA

View Full Version : New tank ideas for 55 gallon...

jbeining75
02-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Well I just got a call from the wife and talked to her about the planted 55 gallon... So that is a gooner (Sorry Dave).... Hmm wonder if I could make a great tank outta silk plants and still do that 48 cardinals and 12 bolivian rams...... Id run 2 Aquaclear 110's on there to keep waste down. Regular 55 setup elsewhere... Gravel as substrate... This would cut probably $1000 out of the already hefty chuck I'm going to cough up for the 100 gallon and 30 gallon long..... Any ideas or suggestions......?? I'm going to my grandmothers house for awhile so I'll repost a little later.. Yes the addict is getting off and going outside lmao....

Rue
02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
May the Force be with you...

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I see lovely tanks all over the place that are not planted. It's easy to get into the hype of planting when you see such lovely tanks and the talented people here that are able to have them. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford what it takes to achieve that goal. When you lay down more money for a light than you would a whole tank, it's just not for everyone. We do not live on the same budget.

Take a look at htp's tank in TOTM and tell me this is not a nice looking tank with not a plant in it. I would prefer his tank over a tank planted that has dead plants and 3 kinds of algae (like my 29 gallon tank.)

All things are not for all people. Some just have what it takes to have a great tank and some of us are flops! The most important thing is to have a tank that you can care for and enjoy and not try to keep up with others who can afford more.

sailor
02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
They have some very realistic silk plants out on the market now, nothing wrong with that. Throw in some nice shaped pieces of drift wood. Everyonce in a while maybe try a low light tolerant plant and see how it goes. Just slowly upgrade as you can afford it. Maybe keep an eye out on craigslist for some cheap equipment. Just start out with a healthy tank that meets their needs and go from there.

Fishalicious
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
What no-one should forget is that the plants are there for the fish and believe me they do not care if they are real or fake... it is all about offering them shelter, security and something to swim through and around.

I have seen loads of beautiful fake plant tanks so I say go for it :thumb: :thumb:

Incredulous_Ed
02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
If you are getting bolivians rams, you should really get sand as the substrate. The rams will appreciate it. The geophagus in their scientific name means eartheater, so they sift thrugh the sand for food.

jbeining75
02-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.... any other opinions..... maybe a different species..... I really want the plants Lady but ya the light for it is like $400.00... hmm silk ones are good though.....So hard to choose so many little fish....

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2008, 03:07 AM
The place where I find the nicest silk plants is ThatPetPlace.com. They have some really tall ones, too. Also reasonable driftwood ....where I got mine. Malaysian and sinks like a rock.

You might like severums. Nice fish and others can go with them fairly safely.

Rue
02-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Keep in mind you don't need special lights for all plants.

I'm doing quite well with low-light plants under the regular hood lights...

...well enough that I have to prune...