PDA

View Full Version : 6 dead fish in less than 1 week :0(

09-26-2006, 05:43 PM
I had all 4 of my tetras die on the weekend in just a few hours (looks like my ph was too high)

This morning everyone in the tank seemed really well but i've just got home to find one of my really health minnows dead and the second looking ill with only part of a tail! Either the guppies have had a munch on him or he has some awful disease. On the firt minnow there were no obvious signs of injury!

Do guppies attack other fish as I thought they were very placid!

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated as im starting to loose heart.

Tornado
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Do you have any more information on your water condition? Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia levels? You said your PH was too high, how high?

Your signature seems to state you have a 15L aquarium? Im concluding that you had 4 white cloud minnows, three guppy males, and 4 tetra's in a 15L aquarium? Am I right on that? How is your aeration?

More information about your aquarium and water conditions would help to troubleshoot.

Also- Sorry for your loss :( Dont lose heart though, it happens to us all, especially when just starting.

09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks Tornado - im just getting really frustrated!

I did have 4 minnows and 4 tetras - the 4 tetras died so i have just introduced 3 guppies. Now that im another 2 minnows down my aquarium currently contains 2 white cloud minnows and 3 guppies.

My ph is reading at 7.0 and the current temperature is at 26degrees. As for nitrates etc im not too sure - do i need kits to test for that and ammonia also?

I did a 15% water change yesterday and all fish seem to be eating fine (a diet of blood worms, mixed flakes and pellets - although not all at the same time!)

I look forward to your response.

kimmers318
09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
How long has this tank been setup? If it is too new you may be experiencing a cycle, which is a normal process a tank goes thru while it is balancing out good and bad bacteria. The cycling process is hard on and can kill fish.

09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi Kimmers.

The tank has been up and running for about 1.5 months

Tornado
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
With a tank that small, and having that many fish in it, I wonder how your Ammonia levels are looking, and your Nitrite/nitrate levels. Do you keep the tank well aerated? Is there any surface agetation going on? Did your fish seem to be pumping their gills harder than usual, or staying at the surface of the water? What sort of filtration do you have running?

Sorry for all the questions, Just brainstorming what could have happend here. A tank that is only 3 gallons suffers much more rapidly from water condition changes, since its so small, I just wonder if you didnt have an ammonia spike, or have poor aeration and fish sufacated due to low oxygen levels. Hard to say.

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2006, 11:43 PM
The most important thing you can do for your fish is water changes!!!! In a new tank, first you get ammonia levels which are toxic. The ammonia turns to nitrite which is again toxic. Water changes are the only thing you can do to clear the tank of those elements. Finally.........nitrite then turns into nitrate and the tank is no longer toxic to the fish unless those levels are sky high.

It takes about 3 months really to really cycle a tank without it going into mini re-cycling stages again so do those water changes and you should have no problem. And feed small amounts. When tank is good and cycled, do a gravel cleaning with a gravel vacuum about every couple of weeks......and clean water of 20-30%.

turbomkt
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Newbie,
You've already heard people question your tank size for the number of fish. I would, too. Soooo....

1. What's your filtration?
2. What's your aeration? i.e. Do you have an airpump and diffuser stone?
3. Have you changed your filter cartridge lately if it uses them?
4. How often do you feed them? Consider feeding every other day or two.
5. After feeding, make sure any excess is cleaned out of the tank. The longer it's in there, the more ammonia is created.

That's a start...

kimmers318
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Everyone has made really good points on everything, what may have started all of this to begin with is overstocking....your tank is fairly small to have started with 4 minnow and 4 tetras. On top of that you are most likely still cycling and/or experiencing the mini cycles Hobbs spoke of. Adding more fish after you lost 4 may have added to the issues, so please, don't add any more fish. Cut back on feedings, and step up the cleanings until everything levels out...keep track of your water stats to see where you are and how stable the tank stays...you will need a test kit for that if you haven't already gotten one. Don't mess with your ph right now (you mentioned it being too high) that is the least of your concerns....ammonia and nitrites are more important. Patience and research are the keys and you will get thru this and be a happier fish keeper for it :)

turbomkt
09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
I'll have to second Kimmer on pH. Really, you shouldn't worry about pH at all. Your fish will be fine unless something causes it to truly rocket up or down. Adding chemicals to control pH will end up in a vicious cycle of ups and downs that will stress your fish more than a stable pH that is higher or lower than their "ideal".

09-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow,

Thanks everyone for your advice and help......

My tank is a reef on baby biorb. It comes complete with a filter and airstone and the gravel also helps with filteration. There is more information about my set up on the reef one set up......... I have also attahced a pic of my set up as I have a heater and thermometer in their too and a big rock!

http://www.reef-one.com/filter-system.htm

It looks as if i am feeding the fish too often as im feeding them once daily at the moment. Ill cut back on that for starters and will do a water change every other day of between 20-30%

I changed the filter in the pump two days ago and also replaced the air stone.

Im going to get myself a comprehensive testing kit on the weekend so that i can monitor ammonia etc........ but what are the ideal readings for nitrates and ammonia?

Sorry to sound dense but how do you mean by surface agitation?

The aquarium is placed in my living room where there is a good source of areation at all times. Does this help?

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Ammonia 0..........nitrites 0

09-29-2006, 09:40 PM
...so other than frequent partial water changes and removing old food, how else can i ensure that the nitrates and ammonia do not get too high? Is there a chemical type of treatment like with ph that is added to water?

turbomkt
10-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Planted tanks. I can't get enough ammonia or nitrate and have to add nitrate because of it ;)

Otherwise, nothing but water changes. Avoid adding any chemicals other than dechlorinators.