PDA

View Full Version : How To Have Chrystal Clear Water On The Cheap

Pickles
02-16-2008, 04:11 PM
This is a trick I learned years ago and many of you may know of it or practice it, but for those who may have never heard of this - this is for you.

To have absolutely crystal clear water in tanks that use OTB filters (ACs, etc.) and save oodles of money set your filters up in this order: bioballs or someother bio media on the bottom, cover with sponge(s), and then top off with polyfil - plain old pillow stuffing.

The trick is the polyfil being the last media the water flows through. It will polish your water to sparkling clarity and a very large bag is about $2.00 and will last months and months.

The above is the way I set my filters up, but I think no matter how you choose to set up your OTB filters, make polyfil your upper most media and see how clear your water becomes.

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2008, 04:20 PM
In filters, the bio-max goes on top with the theory that the bio-max should have the cleanest water, therefore the top of the filter. If your way works, go with it.

Pickles
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
In filters, the bio-max goes on top with the theory that the bio-max should have the cleanest water, therefore the top of the filter. If your way works, go with it.

Yes, this way works. Is the way I was told to go: from greater to smaller media for polishing. Bio-media (balls, rings, etc.) are not for filtering but for increasing the surface area for bacteria. The sponges filter out the larger debris with the polyfil catching the very smallest and thus putting forth the crystal clear water.

I'm sure you could switch the two, sponges and bio-media, but the polyfil would become all tangled and stuck to it I would think. Some folks even put the polyfil on the bottom. However, for best polishing one should go most coarse to finer filtration media.

Numerous theories. There is more than one way to skin a cat! :D My way has worked well for me for years. The general idea I'm contributing is having the polyfil be the final media through which the water flows.

jbeining75
02-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm all about sponge, biomax balls, sponge here......

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't know how you have room for all that in your filter. With that large sponge and just the bio-max, the filter is full to the top. If I don't keep the bio-max on top of the sponge, the sponge floats to the top and knocks the cover off the filter.

I do use floss in all my other tanks, tho.

jbeining75
02-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I use Aquaclear HOB's so they have those little pieces on the sides of the filter basket to hold the media in place......

Kaga's Kritters
02-16-2008, 05:20 PM
i just have a hob aqua-tech filter from walmart on my tanks and they are very clear all the time. all i use is the cartridge that is sold for the filter, nothing else.

sailor
02-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I use AC's as well and I keep the biomax on the bottom then 1 whole sponge than 1 sponge cut length wise in half. I find it leaves less of a mess when I want to rinse out the sponges when they require it. I use the half sponge on top of the whole sponge because it still leaves room for carbon if required.

Pickles
02-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't know how you have room for all that in your filter. With that large sponge and just the bio-max, the filter is full to the top. If I don't keep the bio-max on top of the sponge, the sponge floats to the top and knocks the cover off the filter.

I do use floss in all my other tanks, tho.

<shrugs shoulders>

It's a matter of working with the filter and setting it up the way you want and not what the manufacturer wants/recommends. You take the area you have and use what you want, adjusting amounts accordingly to make room.

I never used Bio-Max, but bio-balls, so I'm not familiar with that. I put in as many bio-balls as I thought I needed/wanted, a sponge (one? two? Smaller sized ones? It's been 10 years or so...) and then stuffed with the polyfil. I never had problems with the sponge floating up in my ACs. I *would* sometimes see a bit of polyfil wiggling at me. I'd just smoosh it back in.

But I managed to get all three media in. I think I may have used like five (8?) bio-balls, one sponge and the rest polyfil. You don't need a lot of polyfil; that's one reason the bag lasts as long as it does.

I'm sorry I can't be more exact. It has been awhile and I'm going off memory. As soon as I get my tank and set it up I'll let you know exactly how I do it!