PDA

View Full Version : Demasonis..

plow
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Can anyone give me any guidance around stocking a new 55 gal with demasonis?

Large groups, individuals, male to female ratio, other mbunas to avoid, small groups of 3 or 4 or what?

Im in the process of inheriting a beautful demasoni from the neighbour but he is the only one amongst a group of 6 mbunas..

Im just wondering if he is going to be a problem if I introduce more mbunas into the community and how is best to deal with him and any other demasonis I may purchase...

Oh yeah, the sooner I can get advice the better as this fish is coming home to me probably tonight or tommorrow and need ot get stocking sorted.

Fishguy2727
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I have heard you should have either one or ten, but I have had two at a time twice and no problems. Right now I have two in the 40high with a bunch of other mbunas and some other cichlids. I have not had the same experience at all that would lead me to agree that you need that many.

sailor
02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
A lot of it will depend on the aggression level of the individual fish in question,
Any time you do try to introduce new cichlids into your set up change the tank rocks, caves around a bit be you introduce them to the tank. The fish all ready in the tank will be more concerned with re-establishing a territory than with any new inhabitants to the tank.

Here is a good cookie cutter guide for a 55 gal tank

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php