PDA

View Full Version : N03 high levels help

whitepear
02-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Hello everyone.
This is my first thread.
I need some advice please on my aquarium.
I check the water of my tank on a weekly basis for Ammonia,PH,N02 and N03.I high levels of N03 and as a consequence i have noticed that algae grow quickly inside my tank.
It's a 180 litre tank and have only three fish:Pacu,parrot and a ciclid of some sort.
I also bought a new air pump last month and filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thank you

M

fins_n_fur
02-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the A.C.!

How often do you do water changes and how much each time? What are the nitrates reading at?

Sasquatch
02-16-2008, 02:59 PM
The best way to reduce nitrates is to do frequent water changes. Reducing the amout you feed the fish will slow down the buildup too.

Other than that, maybe moving some of the fish to another tank, or puting them in a larger tank. You'll probably have to do this eventually, Pacu get too big for a 180L (47g) tank.

gm72
02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
1. We do indeed need the readings for your water parameters.
2. What kind of filtration?
3. That pacu, you understand, will get huge--huge as in you'll need at least a 300 gallon (1,134 liter) tank?

whitepear
02-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi
The N03 levels are 50mg/l and should be no more than 40mg/l.
I am changing the water more frequently and things look better but i wish i could change the water only once every two weeks not every week.

The Pacu i had it for two years and now measures 12inch and I hope it will grow no more.Someone told me that fish grow in proportion to the size of the ank.Other people told me is not true.

Not sure what filter i am using but bought it last month nd was told is suitable for my tank.Mistake i did was to wash the filter in tap water instead of washing it in the aquarium water (at water change).

Halelorf
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
The Pacu i had it for two years and now measures 12inch and I hope it will grow no more.Someone told me that fish grow in proportion to the size of the ank.Other people told me is not true.

The growth can be stunted in a tank too small but the fish will still out grow the tank. Stunting also lowers life expectancy and is overall not very nice to the fish. Really you either need a bigger tank or you need to find a store or someone who has room for the fish. Whenever you plan on getting new livestock you need to research a ton, every bit of planning in the end helps yourself and the fish.

Sasquatch
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi
The N03 levels are 50mg/l and should be no more than 40mg/l.
I am changing the water more frequently and things look better but i wish i could change the water only once every two weeks not every week.

Not sure what filter i am using but bought it last month nd was told is suitable for my tank.Mistake i did was to wash the filter in tap water instead of washing it in the aquarium water (at water change).

Pacu get big. As much as 24"-30". Fish don't adapt to tank sizes, it's a common fish myth, but totally untrue.

Once a week water changes of at least 25% are going to be a minimum to keep a healthy tank. Keeping large fish is a lot of work.

If you can get us details on your filtration, there are plenty of people around here who can help you optimize your setup.