PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on my planted tank

rick4him
02-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a 35 gallon "eclipse" system. I'm using a bio-wheel. I'm using a home -media for the filter. (I bought an active carbon refill, I cut it open and filled it with ceminric o-rings, and just put new "blue fiber" on the top when it gets gunked up. I hold the blue fiber in place with rubber bands. So in other words no carbon.) I'm using a red sea co2 system. (sugar and yeast system)

things are going farily well. My plants seem to be doing great. I just did some rearranging in my tank. Moved some plants to the back, etc. The leaves on some of my plants seem to be withering. almost looking as if they are sun baked...Any idea?

I do a 50% water change ever week. At that time I add in three capfuls of Kent freshwater plant food, and a capful of potassium. Then three days later I add another capful of potassium.

Is this to much nutrients? Is there a better way to do things then what I'm doing? Is this Kent that I'm using a good micro-nutrient to use? Do I need to put this potassium in? (someone at the fish shop told me to start doing this a while back.)

Any advice would be great appreciated. I'm no "pro"..

Thanks

doug z
02-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Rick!

What are you using for a substrate? Lighting? What kind of plants?

How long since your plants went in? It could be that these leaves you're talking about are merely mature, and need to be removed.. "pruned".. Just as you would in a garden..

But I'm no expert, either, so I'll shut up and let them answer.. :)

NickFish
02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Which plants are withering?
And what kind of lighting are you using.

It may be a nutrient deficiency, I use Seachems Flourish and Seachems Flourish Tabs in all my tanks, and thats all I use.

What kind of substrate do you have?

Also next time please post in the appropriate section.

smaug
02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
As the others have asked we need to know what types of light,substrate water temp.The only problem I see right off may be no big deal.The biowheel system does cause surface disruption that could cause you to lose valuable co2 do to outgassing.Inform us of the above info and we can help you further.

doug z
02-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd hoped some experts would have jumped in here, and that you would provide more details on your set up..

But as neither has happened, I'll give this a bump..

I don't think you're adding too much micronutrients, as you would have an algae problem by now, if you were..

Did the plants start to wither AFTER you moved them? Plants don't like it when you up-root them.. :)

And like I say, all plants are going to have leaves that die away eventually.. You just have to remove them and allow new growth..

Again, hopefully someone who knows much more than I do can chime in here, and you can give us more to go on concerning your set-up..

smaug
02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd hoped some experts would have jumped in here, and that you would provide more details on your set up..

But as neither has happened, I'll give this a bump..

I don't think you're adding too much micronutrients, as you would have an algae problem by now, if you were..

Did the plants start to wither AFTER you moved them? Plants don't like it when you up-root them.. :)

And like I say, all plants are going to have leaves that die away eventually.. You just have to remove them and allow new growth..

Again, hopefully someone who knows much more than I do can chime in here, and you can give us more to go on concerning your set-up..
Like I said in my post doug,there is not enough info for an Educated response to the post.

doug z
02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Agreed..

As I mentioned, it was just as much a reminder for him to provide more details..

smaug
02-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I wish he would check back in.

doug z
02-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I guess it's not that pressing a problem.. :)

rick4him
02-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey sorry - I thought I would get an email when people replied to my post....

I am using a substrate I bought from my local shop. I'm not sure of the brand name, it's supposed to be really good, and from Japan.

Does this help you guys at all?

rick4him
02-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Also I have some Java Fern that is EXPLODING IN GROWTH!! What do you guys do with that stuff when it grows so much? I take off all the little plants (that are growing everywhere by thew way..they are even attaching themselfs to other plants that I have, and I have to peel them off and replant them.) I just put the java fern to the middle of the tank. I took the small little plants that come off of it, and I just replant them in different places through out the tank. Will these little spin off's grown into as big a fern as the "main" plant?

Also i can take a picture of my tank if that will help you guys..

Thanks!

doug z
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Yup, a pic would be good..

If the Java fern is doing great, and you have no algae to speak of, I would say all is good so far..

But I would quit moving the plants about.. :)

Like I say, they don't like that..

I'd be interested to know what the name of the substrate is..

rick4him
02-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the info. Question for you...I am using the bio system (by red sea). I found someone who is willing to sale me a 20 lb co2 tank, a regulator, a needle value, and a glass diffuser for 100 dollars. Is this a good deal? Would I notice any big difference going from what I have to this system for 100 dollars? (Even in a small tank like mine? - 35 gallons?)

also I then name of my substrate is "Amano Design Amano" and power sand underneith.

Also how do I post a picture to this site?

Thanks

Hey how do I take a picture? LOL, I know I sound lame, but I took a bunch and they all turned out bad. Tried some with flash, without flash, picture modes, etc, but not getting anything good. I can take a good video, but not sure how to post that...any advice?

Ok - I'm using "ADA Aquasoil" by the way...

and power-sand underneath...

Ok I found my light info.
I have 2 bulbs one of them is
coralife 10,000k F15-T8-BP
The second one is
Nutri-grow freshwater lamp coralife
F15-T8-BP (hmmmm is this the same light?)

doug z
02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Huh.. Soil, eh?

That IS a good substrate!

And you're having no problem with algae? Awesome..

And yes, jump all over that deal.. All you would need still is a controller to keep the PH at a constant set point (6.7-6.8).

Light looks good..

Not sure about how to post video..

gm72
02-17-2008, 04:09 PM
A controller is not an absolute necessity. A lot of people simply run an airstone at night to drive off excess CO2.

There is a "How To" for posting pictures. Very easy to do and we'd love to see some pictures!

smaug
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Question for you...I am using the bio system (by red sea). I found someone who is willing to sale me a 20 lb co2 tank, a regulator, a needle value, and a glass diffuser for 100 dollars. Is this a good deal? Would I notice any big difference going from what I have to this system for 100 dollars? (Even in a small tank like mine? - 35 gallons?)

also I then name of my substrate is "Amano Design Amano" and power sand underneith.

Also how do I post a picture to this site?

Thanks

Hey how do I take a picture? LOL, I know I sound lame, but I took a bunch and they all turned out bad. Tried some with flash, without flash, picture modes, etc, but not getting anything good. I can take a good video, but not sure how to post that...any advice?

Ok - I'm using "ADA Aquasoil" by the way...

and power-sand underneath...

Ok I found my light info.
I have 2 bulbs one of them is
coralife 10,000k F15-T8-BP
The second one is
Nutri-grow freshwater lamp coralife
F15-T8-BP (hmmmm is this the same light?)
Realistically you do not need co2 injection with the type plants you are keeping and the lower wattage lighting you have.But yes 100 bucks is a good deal on the system,nut it is truly overkill.It does sound like you have a very good setup and you should have nothing but good luck.

rick4him
02-17-2008, 11:42 PM
I may not "need" it, but it will make the plants more lush, and increase the rate of growth, right?

Also I have a bio-wheel filter (Eclipse hook...29 gallon tank.) Some people have said I am wasting my money with Co2 because the filter up top knocks out all of the co2 I am adding. I have heard people say i loose some, but regardless I will see a 100% increase in the look, and growth of my plants, so not to worry about it. I keep my tank VERY full so the water doesn't "splash" down into the tank. It it filled up to the top of the "lip" where the water comes out, so it pretty much just ripples across the top.

What are your advice on this?

Also if I want to replace my light system, and maybe go to a canister filter, how would I do this? I would need an entire new lid. I have no idea how to even do something like that. Is there an easy way?

Thoughts?

shockshockshad
02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Carbon removes nutrients

rick4him
02-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Correct - I know that. If you read in my OP I said I took the carbon out, and I filled it with o'rings and blue fiber on top.....

rick4him
02-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Here is a link to a video of my ststem..take a look,and give me some advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4UymBIthu4

doug z
02-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Lookin good!

What kind of fish do you have in there?

smaug
02-19-2008, 08:27 PM
your tank is very nice!