PDA

View Full Version : help with tank

tex_ag85
02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I have 5 tiger barbs and 3 schwartz corydoras in a 20 gallon high. I have an undergravel filter with powerhead and was wondering if i decided to add two golden wonder killies if it would be overstocked. I read that they don't like currents so the powerhead could be a problem right? Thanks for the help.

Dave66
02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
I have 5 tiger barbs and 3 schwartz corydoras in a 20 gallon high. I have an undergravel filter with powerhead and was wondering if i decided to add two golden wonder killies if it would be overstocked. I read that they don't like currents so the powerhead could be a problem right? Thanks for the help.

You are correct that the killies won't thrive in the current. They also wouldn't like the semi-aggressiveness of the Tiger Barbs, who wouldn't be able to resist picking at the sedate killies. Your tank size would be perfect for the killies, but the tank mates and the filtration method would not.
I'm pleased, however, that you researched the preferences of the killies before purchasing them. Too few fishkeepers do that.

Dave

tex_ag85
02-15-2008, 08:46 AM
thanks for your help. i realized it probably wouldn't work but I thought their ability to eat live foods like crickets and flies and stuff would be cool so I had to ask. Any top level swimmer recomendations?

Dave66
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks for your help. i realized it probably wouldn't work but I thought their ability to eat live foods like crickets and flies and stuff would be cool so I had to ask. Any top level swimmer recomendations?

Tex,
Easy. Zebra Danios. Six or eight of them. Don't get the long-finned versions unless you want the Tigers to tear them apart. They'll also deeply enjoy flies and other small live food.
Make sure, though, that you acclimate and add the danios to your tank with its lights off and the room dark. Just turn off the tank light and draw the room curtains before you go to the store to get the Danios. Leave the light off until the next morning.
If you'd have put them in the tank with the lights on and the Tigers active, they'd almost immediately attack the danios soon as you put them in. Putting them in with the lights and room dark usually prevents that.

Dave