PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water?

rnj1979
02-15-2008, 01:13 AM
We set up a small tank in my son's room about two weeks ago... the water is already very cloudy and merky. We put "Clear Wataer" in last night but it hasn't changed. Normally this product works well but not this time. I haven't ever had water cloud up so quickly.

Any suggestions to what the problem might be. We put a pleco in last night to see if he could help out...

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
You're on an uncycled tank so the meds are gonna make it much worse.... Do some water changes to clear the water clarity and try not to use any kind of chemicals while cycling......

rnj1979
02-15-2008, 01:31 AM
You're on an uncycled tank so the meds are gonna make it much worse.... Do some water changes to clear the water clarity and try not to use any kind of chemicals while cycling......
How much water do I need to change? I have a 10g tank. Do I add no chemicals what so ever, not even water conditioners?

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 02:18 AM
You can add water conditioners but just no treatment medications.... change out about 20% to see if that helps.... Do you got fish in there?

rnj1979
02-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Yes, we have one kissing garoumi and two or three other small fish but I cannot remember what species they are for the life of me. There is also one baby pleco that was added yesterday.

We had to set this tank up as an emergency back-up plan b/c my kisser was bullying my blue garoumis. We did let the tank run for a few days before adding any fish, then put the current fishies in at the same time...

I'll change the water and see if it helps. Thank you for your advice.

Aquamarine
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I had my new tank running empty (just water) for about 3-4 weeks before I put fish in. I t was definetly worth the wait. I also did regular water changes before I put any fish in. It was a 150l tank and I changed about 1/3 - 1/2 everytime.

lasm
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
You should do periodic water changes. I do change 50% of my water weekly.