PDA

View Full Version : West African? Small? Possible?

Pickles
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I will soon be setting up a West African biotope tank. I've never had a tank w/o a couple beloved Plecos.

Is there a small West African (maybe just African?) Plec? Does such a creature exist? I've been searching the 'Net and not found anything yet. I've read there are West African fish that eat algea, but... They're not a Pleco.

Thanks in advance for any :help:

Dave66
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I will soon be setting up a West African biotope tank. I've never had a tank w/o a couple beloved Plecos.

Is there a small West African (maybe just African?) Plec? Does such a creature exist? I've been searching the 'Net and not found anything yet. I've read there are West African fish that eat algea, but... They're not a Pleco.

Thanks in advance for any :help:

Pickles,
Plecos are exclusively South American; there are none of the family in Africa. You've seen African algae eaters; they are your appropriate choice.
I assume you'll be sticking with the riverine Cichlid species of West Africa? I can help you with a stocking list should you be interested.

Dave

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Alot of catfish will eat algae......... If you are keeping an african tank you need something that will stand up to the aggressiveness of the fish though... I'm not sure if African cats eat algae or not though....

sailor
02-15-2008, 12:22 AM
There are a lot of african cichlids that feed by scraping the algae covered (Aufwuchs) rock surfaces, and in the aquarium it is not a problem as pellet or flake food is accepted, but it should be supplemented with a plant based formula containing something like spirulina

Pickles
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Pickles,
Plecos are exclusively South American; there are none of the family in Africa. You've seen African algae eaters; they are your appropriate choice.
I assume you'll be sticking with the riverine Cichlid species of West Africa? I can help you with a stocking list should you be interested.

Dave

Note to self: Do South American biotope for Plecos.

Actually, Dave, I've not seen African algae eaters. Or if I have I've not realized what I was seeing. Is it African algae eaters, one species? Or African algae eaters, more than one species?

Edit: Oh. You mean the ones I've read about. I can't remember exactly which fish they were as I skimmed because I'm looking specifically for a Pleco. I seem to remember them being largish... I'll go do more searching and see what I come up with and give them more attention.

What would be your suggestion for stocking? I'm going with Pelvicachromis taeniatus Yellow Nigerian or Dehanes, Congo Tetras, and Synodontis nigriventris. Not dead set on the Congo Tetras... But can't seem to find anything else that's as pretty.

Pickles
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you, Sailor. Like feeding a Pleco, huh? Where you feed algae wafers. Before the fish go in I'll make sure I've the appropriate food on hand for everyone.