PDA

View Full Version : Leaving fish for a period of time?

Slow Cheetah
09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
In about 2 months my family and I are away on holidays for 7 days. I was wondering what to do about feeding them? Would giving them a big meal before i go last them the week? (i know its a while off but better to be early than forget ;) )

Thx

Newbiedude

turbomkt
09-25-2006, 09:21 AM
That's no problem. Just feed them normally and leave them alone for the week.

Severus
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
There are even some foods that last for a couple of days in the tank. I dont know much about them and have no experience with them, but they might be worth looking into...

Glasstapper
09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
have you looked into automatic feeders? If you decide to go with one of those, check it before you leave to make sure it won't overfeed.

Severus
09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Good point. If you could get one of those to work on schedule and not overfeed, that would be pretty awesome.

William
09-25-2006, 10:00 PM
yes. but as earlier said. Its not really needed. Don't get week vacation feeders. It is better to just leave them. The vacation feeders can sometimes cause disasters.

Severus
09-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Thats what i was thinking too, i heard they arent the most reliable

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh my gosh. I couldn't stand it knowing my fish were not eating for a week. I'm going to FL for 9 days and I've bought those 14 day feeders that you drop in the tank. I've having someone come in to check on them also and feed them if needed.

turbomkt
09-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Those 14 day feeders are mostly gypsum plus whatever food is added to them. One odd thing I found was after I used them the first time I went from no snails to a snail explosion. I can't prove it as I never used one again after that, but it was the only change. I don't know how.

Fish will usually be quite fine with no food for two weeks.

kimmers318
09-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Besides the fact that with those feeder blocks...if you have gluttons they will be GONE in no time. I once tried that with goldfish, but had a neighbor checking in to keep an eye on things for me...he reported that the feeder block was gone the next day! If you don't have a neighbor or friend you can trust....leave them be, they won't starve (although, they will be happy to see you) and your tank will be safer for it.

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I know the loaches will crawl on that feeder block and remain there until it's gone. They are eating machines but so are the moonlight gourami's. I doubt those blocks will remain long at all. I asked my friend to just stop by every 3 days or so. I'd not want a fish to die and float around in the tank for long. ewwwww

Severus
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Yea, the fish should be alright as long as it isnt much longer than a week.

Slow Cheetah
09-27-2006, 06:39 AM
k thx for help

Severus
09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Thats what we're here for lol

CJ1
10-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Look into the various automatic feeders. I have a couple that I use all the time with no problems. Have tried those food blocks and will never do that again.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Look into the various automatic feeders. I have a couple that I use all the time with no problems. Have tried those food blocks and will never do that again.
I will be leaving for FL this Wednesday for 10 days and bought those feeder blocks but now after reading some negative sides to them, I think I will just not use them. I do have someone coming in a few times a week to feed these guys and that should do fine.

Don't forget to go into the introduction thread and tell us all about you. You did say you have rams, right? Anxious to hear all about them. Nice seeing you here!

Severus
10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I have never used feeder blocks, but also have heard a lot of negative things about them

Reckless_Angel
10-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I bought an automatic feeder, nice and simple to use, I wouldn't use flake in it again though as with leaving the lid open slightly I found that on return ( only a week or so ) the flake was clotted together a bit from the moisture.
The granules however had no problems, this is only a smallish feeder though.

Have used the weekend blocks before, seem to be no problem there, however the fish I have are relative small eaters ( apart from the damn gibby heheh )

turbomkt
10-11-2006, 04:20 AM
The automatic feeder I used was fine with flake once I changed where it was sitting over the tank. When I started using micro pellets it stopped being viable option as it dumped waaaay too much food in at once.

kimmers318
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Honest everyone...your fish will be fine left to their own devices for quite awhile....and using feeder blocks, or having an automatic feeder dumping food in you risk polluting your tank. If you use a feeder block...all of the crud that holds it together so that it slowly dissolves will be waste in your tank that your tank is not used to having. And if your fish eat it all in one day (like alot do) well....imagine how much THEIR waste will be magnified over the normal feeding routine. If your automatic feeder malfunctions, you either get no food to the fish or way too much. No food sounds safer! If you can have someone stop in to check on things pre-measure the food you want dumped into the tank for them to avoid the risk of your "fishy" babysitter overfeeding. Some people use baggies...I use the 1 oz jello shot cups that I have on hand. That way each cup can be marked with a tank number...and then I mark each tank with a wet erase or dry erase marker to match and add any special instructions right on the front of the glass. For example....my dp's DO NOT get fed at all while I am away....and I don't want someone to accidently dump a container or a pinch of flake in because they feel sorry for them (they wouldn't eat it). My neighbor is squeamish about the bloodworms and snail picking so I just put a warning on the tank "DO NOT FEED" and let them go. Another warning we have put on the front of the glass is to BEWARE...WILL JUMP for the oscars....they like to jump around alot when fed..and the lid NEEDS to be closed afterwards so we don't ever see them make it out of the tank!

NorthernBoy
10-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Wet erase marker on the glass. That is a fantastic idea!!! Chalk another one up more Kimmers.

kimmers318
10-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Oh...trust me..it was a big relief to be able to mark things on each tank for our neighbor! My daughter has a wet erase board in her room so I bought her neon colors for it because it is black...and they worked wonders for leaving messages about each tank right on the front. I numbered each one in the same corner....numbered the food containers....and left special instructions. Of course....I am EXTREMELY lucky in that I have an AWESOME neighbor who is willing to watch any/all critters for us....in return...we do whatever it takes for her kids/family. For example...her ADHD, bipolar, anger management issue son knocked on our door early one morning...he had missed the bus and was darn near in tears. Hubby ran him up to the school, he got there in time...and, although we did tell Mom...I made sure I waited long enough for him not to get into trouble and tell her not to let on that we told. I would rather he come to us if he needs help and know he won't get into trouble for it than to try some other avenue. As far as he knows.....Mom never found out he screwed up....and we are the bomb! LOL

Severus
10-12-2006, 03:04 AM
That is a brilliant idea with the markers. And it sounds like you and your hubby are some great neighbors. Wish i could say the same for mine... i basically hate my neighbors

kimmers318
10-12-2006, 04:12 AM
Well...you could always move to Ohio 100gw! By the way...what does 100gw stand for?