PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Co2 write up!

country_boy454
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
My Co2 system has worked great. It's been producing co2 for twelve days now. I haven't had any problems with the yeast/sugar water getting into my tank as i have a gas diffuser for that reason. As an added caution.

What you need are: 2 liter pop bottle, another bottle for the gas diffuser ( i used a 32 oz. gatorade bottle for the wide cap), a 20 oz. pop bottle, a pair of scissors, a hot glue gun, some air line tubing, and that little blue thing which is a flow regulator (only lets air flow one way), drill with bit smaller in diameter than the air line, suction cup.

You need to drill 1 hole in the cap of the 2 liter pop bottle. Drill two holes in the gatorade bottle cap. Drill one hole in the 20 oz. pop cap.These holes will be smaller than the diameter of the air line. Next cut the 20 oz pop bottle in half to make the bell where the Co2 will go. Next cut the airline into desired lengths. Then cut the ends of the lines at an angle about a 1/2" long. Now insert the angled end of the tube into the pop cap and pull. Cut of the angled part. I cut this one about 1/2 inch long. Use the hot glue on the outside of the pop cap to seal the hole and hold the air line in place. Cut this line in half and put the flow valve in. Take the other end of the air line and insert it into one of the holes in the gatorade cap and pull. Cut of angled part. I made this line about 3-4 inches long so it will be under the water level of this bottle. Now insert the other air line into the second hole of the gatorade cap and pull. Cut of angled part. I made this one about 1/2 inch long. Glue top of cap to seal holes and hold tubing. Insert the other end of this line into the 20 oz pop cap. Cut off angled part. I left about 1/2 inch long. I did not glue this one. Put caps on appropriate bottles. Cut hole in bell for the suction cup. Finished product will look similar to my pics.

Fill gatorade bottle with water until the one air line that comes from the yeast solution is under water. This serves as gas diffuser/ bubble counter.

The flow valve will keep any access water getting into the yeast solution which will make it bubble over.

Co2 recipie:
3 cups warm water
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup hot water from tap

You need to put three cups warm water and two cups sugar into 2 liter bottle. I then shook this to mix. Add the yeast to the hot water and stir to rehydrate the yeast then pour into the sugar water. I then shook again to mix yeast and sugar water.

Pic One (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2634&d=1189886028)
Pic Two (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2635&d=1189886329)
Pic Three (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2636&d=1189886843)

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Nice write up dude!

AquaBANG
02-14-2008, 07:01 AM
why do we need the second bottle (32 oz. gatorade bottle with wide cap). is it not possible to directly connect the line from the 2 liter pop bottle (with mixture) to the tank (with an airstone)? Whats the purpose of a diffuser?

jbeining75
02-14-2008, 07:03 AM
A diffuser allows big bubbles to be trapped and release smaller bubbles that are more easily dissolved into the water.....

AquaBANG
02-14-2008, 07:08 AM
I understand that in the second bottle (the diffuser) the line from the first bottle (mixture) is let into the water level so that the bigger bubbles dissolve. But the line leading to the tank is at surface level, so how will the bubbles reach the tank? I am confused about this part.

Jambot
02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Great writeup. I've been thinking of starting my own DIY CO2 setup for a bit now. With 60 watts over a 20 gallon long, do you think I need CO2 or should I stay away from it unless I get more light?

Drumachine09
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
The second filter acts as a "filter" to catch any extra mixture that might make it through the line, and as a bubble counter.

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
The second one traps the bulbbles so they stay in contact with the water until they dissolve, as opposed to the airstone which releases the bubbles up, leaving little time for the bubbles to dissolve.

Adrian
02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I have the 2 liter bottle, but need a second to make sure no solution can make it into the tank. The second bottle will trap any moisture, just allowing pure co2 to enter the tank.... Yep, definately will have to upgrade.

country_boy454
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
The "bad" thing about this type of a setup is that if the solution makes it's way into the tank it can and will kill all your fishies. That is why I added the second bottle to catch any overflow that might happen.

W_Oz
10-06-2008, 03:43 AM
The diffuser bell is an interesting idea, how are you monintoring your CO2 levels in your tank and how many bubbles are you flowing with that setup?

The water trap is great, I would point out though that you really don't need to seal up your holes with glue. The hose that you pulled through will make a gas tight seal if the hole diameter was less than the hose diameter.

Jambot - Are you experiencing Algae problems with so much light over your tank? If you are, then I might consider CO2. If not, let it be. You're plants will benefit, but you don't need CO2 unless you're having algae problems with your 60watts.

bereczky_sanyee
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
So from what I understand is it this simple: 2x 2L soda bottles, in the first one you add the mixture, and connect it with a tube to the second bottle, and from the second bottle you just take a tube (on it a check valve) and from there to the diffuser (etc.) ? Am I right or not? :-s

bereczky_sanyee
10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
So from what I understand is it this simple: 2x 2L soda bottles, in the first one you add the mixture, and connect it with a tube to the second bottle, and from the second bottle you just take a tube (on it a check valve) and from there to the diffuser (etc.) ? Am I right or not? :-s

oooh silly me, didn't see the pics, never mind, I didn't say anything

Doak6021
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
How long will a mixture like this last? Is it in the range of days or months?

Lady Hobbs
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Doak.....this thread is a year old but the mixture lasts depending on how much yeast you use. His mixture will probably last a month or more.