PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes low/med/bright light levels?

doug z
02-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Just curious as to what the levels are..

ie.

Is "Low" 1 watt per gallon? 2? .5?

What's "bright"? "Very Bight"?

Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2008, 04:27 AM
you mean for planted tanks?

low is 1wpg-2wpg, medium is 2wpg-4wpg, high light is 4wpg+

its totally different for reefs though

doug z
02-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I'm talking for planted, thanks..

I'll have 220W of 10,000K light if I buy 2 T-5 55W Current USA light strips for a 75g..

Not much at all, then..

Just in the middle of medium.. (2.9W per gallon)

Hmmph... I thought that'd be more than enough :(

Here are the plants I was thinking of:

Java Fern (driftwood, rocks)
Bolbitus hendelottii (driftwood, rocks)
Echinodorus martii (background)
Echinodorus tennelus (foreground)
Cryptocoryne walkerii var. lutea (specimen, foreground)
Aponogeton crispus (background)
Echinodorus parviflorus (midground)
Amazon Frogbit , Limnobium laevigatum (floating plant)

Lots of "bright" plants.. :((

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2008, 05:30 AM
I dont like the wpg rule. Maybe if all tanks were the same size it would make sense, but this is not so. I say you have ideal light and those plants will most likely grow very well, provided the other nutrients are balanced with the lights.

doug z
02-14-2008, 05:34 AM
I hope so! :)

I'll have pressurized CO2, laterite and eco-complete for a substrate, cable heater for the substrate, liquid and tab ferts..

Should be good..

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2008, 05:45 AM

I'll have pressurized CO2, laterite and eco-complete for a substrate, cable heater for the substrate, liquid and tab ferts..

Should be good..
With all this money you are spending it better be good lol

doug z
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Amen, brother.. :(

hpt84
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Should be good..

Geez, how much the pressurized co2 system cost you? Well, it will be worth it in the long run. I personally think those plant will do fine with your light system. They may not get the expected growth though. The wpg really only is useful for 20-55g tank. Also, for instance if you compare a A H Supply light with 2 shop light. The A H Supply light will provide more light for the plant because the reflector direct the light into the aquarium, unlike the shop light.

Incredulous_Ed
02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Geez, how much the pressurized co2 system cost you? Well, it will be worth it in the long run. I personally think those plant will do fine with your light system. They may not get the expected growth though. The wpg really only is useful for 20-55g tank. Also, for instance if you compare a A H Supply light with 2 shop light. The A H Supply light will provide more light for the plant because the reflector direct the light into the aquarium, unlike the shop light.
Exactlt. Hang a shop light in a dark room and turn it on. See how the light is spread all over the place?

Now try doing it with one of those ah supply reflectors. See how the light is concentrated downward?

Dave66
02-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Should be good..

Doug,
I wrote this (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/lightrequirements.php) some time ago for Lady Hobbs. Its been adapted by William for the archive. You're in the upper mid with your 2.9. The plants you've listed will do great in your lights, with your substrate and Co2. No problems.

Dave

doug z
02-15-2008, 02:48 AM
That's good news! :)

Like I say, the lights I got have a parabolic reflector, which I'm guessing is like tinfoil (highly reflective)..