PDA

View Full Version : Finicky fish

Lady Hobbs
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I've been giving my fish Tetra's foods all this time along with dried shrimp, bloodworms, algae wafers and Tubifex worms but this week I bought Wardleys fish food (a big can) and they will hardly eat it. It floats right past them and goes to the bottom.

Have any of you had their fish stick their nose up at Wardley's like this?

If you have gourami's try the Tubifex worms. They love it!

William
09-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Tubifex is loved but very fatty so don't feed them that to often. I have actually have quite a few fish that haven't touch Wardleys for a while. they had to learn that it was food.

kimmers318
09-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Haven't tried Wardley's, once my fish got a taste of Omega One and I saw how crazy they went I decided to stick with it!

Lady Hobbs
09-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Yes, I should get them a better brand of food. Something else I will have to order. *grrrrr

Thanks for the information on the Turbifex worms William. I wasn't aware they were fat.

Severus
09-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Like kimmers said. If you havent used Omega One yet i recommend it. All my guys love it. Im sure your SD's will too hobbs

William
09-25-2006, 06:10 AM
A follow up on the fatty tubifex worms:

They are in fact so fatty that you shouldn't feed it more than tops twice a week (more for short periods if you are conditioning fish) since more can cause internal damages and/ or sterility (which is an internal damage)

Severus
09-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Yea i have some Hikari Tubifex at my house and i feed it MAYBE once a week, And only a little square or two. Thanks for the info William

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Well, I certainly am glad I mentioned those Tubifex worms or never would have known how fatty they were. Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Since they like them so well, I was given them several a day. :(

Would you believe I drove 15 miles to town tonight to get spinach for my Silver Dollars and no spinach is anywhere. It was pulled from the market due to an outbreak of some sort of bacteria that a little boy died from. Salmonella I believe (however it's spelled.)

I did get them Romane lettuce and parsley. Don't know as parsley is for fish but SD are supposed to like all greens so thought I'd try it. It did freshen their breath. :) Maybe they'll eat more greens as they get older but they don't seem all that nuts about them yet.

I will also buy the Omega foods. Thanks again.

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Happy to report my Silver Dollars are going nuts over the zucchini as well as the Moonlight gourami's. Is there anything large gourami's don't eat! LOL
I saw one of my SD swimming around with the whole zucchini slice in his mouth today. So cute.

Severus
09-28-2006, 02:26 AM
I have yet to try zucchini, but from what i hear everyone's fish love it so i need to try and get some soon

Lady Hobbs
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I just sliced some of it up and par-boiled it for a minute and put it in a zip-lock bag. They eat it from the middle out for some reason and it won't be long until nothing but that round rind is there but they eat that too. Some drop it in the tank raw but I think they may have trouble with it that way.

Loaches are supposed to eat bananas, too, but I had no luck with that but will try it again. I wonder when spinach will be back on the market? Mine are also eating parsley.

Severus
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Yea i want to boil up a whole zucchini then freeze the rest and save it foe later. Thanks hobbs

kimmers318
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
My fish prefer zucchini over cukes...not real fond of lettuce, but the snails love that!