PDA

View Full Version : Can't get spotted pike to eat

goleafs
02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
It's been 5 days since I ran out of feeders for my 3 inch spotted pike ( or spotted needlefish I'm still not sure) and he won't touch anything. I have been trying to handfeed him small frozen shrimp but he doesn't seem interested at all. He hasn't once looked at the flakes I feed my baby convict cichlid but has taken runs at the convict ( who is almost too big for me to worry about). I just don't know what to do.

Halelorf
02-12-2008, 10:27 PM
maybe try some freeze-dried bloodworms? I don't have any fish similar to that but i've heard bloodworms can get finicky eaters going.

goleafs
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I think next time I go to my LFS I'll get a bunch of different freeze dried foods. He gets spooked really easily though and I'm not sure how I should feed him.

garman
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
You've either had success or tragedy by this time. If you can't find feeder guppies I suggest freeze dried krill. That's what all my gars eat now. They like the color orange, and this is good food for them.

Is this a south american spotted, or a Florida spotted?

goleafs
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
The spotted pike was actually eaten by the spotted gar one sad... loud... splashing night. I'm not sure which type of spotted gar mine is but I've taken him off feeders and I've seen him eat bits of frozen silver side minnows.

garman
04-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. Try krill. My Spotted gars love it. They take it from my fingers, um, actually, I drop it into the water by their snouts. I'm still attatched to my fingers!