PDA

View Full Version : oscars and other cichlids

kaianuanu
02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
could i keep an oscar w/ other similar sized cichlids? I want to get a green terror, jack d., or a peacock bass. can their temperments mix well or will i come home to this:jaws: ? what ever i get will be the same size as my oscar (about 4 inches).

***thanx***
kai

goleafs
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
It depends on how big your tank is but if you really wanted to you could keep an oscar with South American cichlids of the same size.

Goshawk
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
It really matters what temperment your oscar has. I've heard of some that kill any fish that you try to introduce and others that are perfectly capable of being kept with way smaller fish then them selfs.

Any same size or relatively the same SA cichlids.

Also what size is your tank?

EDIT: I just read your profile. Your going to need a WAY bigger tank then 10 gallons for you oscars. Your going to need a MINIMUM of 75G though something over 100 would be great!

Drumachine09
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
We need tank size and filtration.

And NO peacock bass. They get much too large for a common aquarium.

To add anything with an oscar, you are looking at 90-100 (still pushing it) and MASSIVE filtration with an aggressive water change schedule.

jbeining75
02-12-2008, 08:37 PM
As long as you introduce them to the tank at the same time, or reaarange the entire tank when you put a new south american cichlid in (to break territories) they should be fine. I have 2 5 inch Oscars and a 5 inch green terror in a 55 gallon. This is not recommended when fully grown. They will be moved into a 100 gallon that will house the Oscars, the green terror, and possibly a raphel cat...... When you keep Oscars with other sa cichlids they need to be like temperment and like size. Oscars grow just slightly faster than most other sa cichlids. If you are gonna mix Oscars and green terrors I would get a slightly larger green terror if possible. They grow around the same speed but Oscars grow around 2-4 inches bigger and they are taller when younger..... Oscars can go in with red devils, other oscars (not more than 2) pacu (if you have a really big tank), green terrors, convicts (although they are a little aggressive), texas cichlids, severum.............

goleafs
02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I just read your profile. Your going to need a WAY bigger tank then 10 gallons for you oscars. Your going to need a MINIMUM of 75G though something over 100 would be great!

Your two oscars will get bigger than the 10 gallon. If I were you I would either give the oscars back to where you got them or buy atleast a 75 gallon tank but thats still pushing it for 2 oscars.

Goshawk
02-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Your two oscars will get bigger than the 10 gallon. If I were you I would either give the oscars back to where you got them or buy atleast a 75 gallon tank but thats still pushing it for 2 oscars.

Dude I don't have the Oscars, he does. I went to his profile and it says that he has two 4" Oscars in a 10 gallon tank which is WAY to small. I would think two oscars with nothing else would work ok (not great) in a 75 with good filtration but I would rather see 100 myself even more so if he wants to add anything else. No problem with the mix up thumbs2:

NickFish
02-13-2008, 01:57 AM
EDIT: I just read your profile. Your going to need a WAY bigger tank then 10 gallons for you oscars. Your going to need a MINIMUM of 75G though something over 100 would be great!

What!?! I think I saw something like this in that bad tank ideas thread lol.

Take the oscars back to the store now. Or get a 100 gallon tank set up in the next couple weeks. Don't be worrying about your tank mates, just get them out of there. 1 oscar would not be able to happily live in a 10 gallon during any stage of its life, let alone at 4". They can easily get over a foot in aquaria but 14-16" is more likely when cared for properly.

Oscars need a 55 gallon minimum for 1 but 75 is better, two would be a minimum of a 100 gallon. Please tell me you left out a zero.

You can return your oscars to the place you got them, and may get your money back. That should be your biggest concern right now. If you want to add tank mates, get at least a 150 gallon.