PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish and my tank

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I was thinking of getting a crayfish. I have a 36 gal tank with tetras, mollies, 2 clown loaches, 2 killis, 2 corys and 2 rubber lipped plecos. Will the crayfish nip at the bottom dwelling fish or any fish that strays to close?

sailor
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Most crayfish will grab a meal if it presents itself.

Sailor

Tooch
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
It's really the luck of the draw in my experience. I've put crayfish in both my large tank that has a 14" Pleco, and my Piranha tank. They instantly find/make a place to hide. Both have much larger fish than the crayfish though. Crayfish will try to eat fish it can catch though, so it may be a bad idea with your little pleco... They are also scavangers though, so if they have enough to eat, they may not feel the need to hunt fish. I wouldn't risk it either way...

You can have them de-clawed though. This will prevent them from injuring any of your fish in your tank. From what I hear, they don't have nerve endings in their claws, so when they are snipped, it doesn't hurt them butthis is just what a lfs has told me though, so that information is questionable.

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
ok, no crayfish then. I would be wary of the crayfish especially with the smaller tetras like the phantoms. Thanks for the info!

smaug
02-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of getting a crayfish. I have a 36 gal tank with tetras, mollies, 2 clown loaches, 2 killis, 2 corys and 2 rubber lipped plecos. Will the crayfish nip at the bottom dwelling fish or any fish that strays to close?
any fish that gets close enough will be eaten or bitten.My wife uses crayfish in her classroom live bearer tank to thin out the population explosions .

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-13-2008, 02:21 AM
any fish that gets close enough will be eaten or bitten.My wife uses crayfish in her classroom live bearer tank to thin out the population explosions .

Instead of getting a crayfish, I went out and got 3 Julli Cory Cats. Cute little buggers.

smaug
02-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Instead of getting a crayfish, I went out and got 3 Julli Cory Cats. Cute little buggers.
good choice ,they are a cool fish.

jbeining75
02-13-2008, 03:25 AM
definetely a better choice then the crayfish......