PDA

View Full Version : Blood parrots

Lady Hobbs
09-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I found this on the net and found it rather informative.

It is up to speculation, which parents actually produced the Blood Parrot, Bloody Parrot, or Blood Parrotfish.There are two different sets of parents suggested as the cross which created this hybrid.
One common cross suggested is between the Midus Cichlid Cichlasoma cirtrinellum and the Redheaded Cichlid Cichlasoma synspilum, two Central American cichlids.
Another common cross suggested is between the Red Devil, Cichlasoma labiatum, a Central American cichlid. Another is one of the two South American Severums, either the Banded Cichlid (Turqoise or Green Severum) Heros severus or the Gold Severum "Cichlasoma" spilurum.

The behavior of this hybrid is peaceful and shy, a characteristic only found in the Severums from South America. The other three Central American cichlids are quite aggressive.
I often hear people mention that their parrots are so aggressive and others claim theirs is peaceful. Perhaps because some are bred from Central American varities and others from South American varities.

If buying this fish, it would be nice to know where they come from. Sounds as you could get just about anything and I'd like to know what their background is if I was to purchase one.

Any insights from anyone?

Full3R
09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
The backyard breeder i know managed to get a male Jaguar to spawn with a female Red tiger oscar but of the three times he claims no eggs have hatched yet

stubbytheplecostomus
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
in the world of aquarium breeders the blood parrot is considered "undesirable" there are alot of people that would like the blood parrot removed from market. the practice of creating hybrids is considered unethical and arrogant and they should not be bought for this just perpetuates the cycle. blood parrots often have many problems, their mouths cannot close properly and they have trouble swimming, to name a few. i would recomend not keeping blood parrots.

Lady Hobbs
09-25-2006, 02:16 AM
I don't find them all that attractive with that huge hump on their head and a mouth that can't close correctly. To produce this fish is bad enough but to introduce then the JellyBeans is even worse. I would like a Severum myself. At least they are natural.

Thanks for your reply.

Severus
09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Yes, severums are very cool. I was never a huge fan of Blood Parrots either. They just dont like right lol. Very unique but im not a fan of the hybrid aspect...

William
09-25-2006, 06:08 AM
There are likely only one cross (ie one set of species) that have lead to blood parrots. The fact that some people say they are peaceful and other aggressive does likely have more to do with individual specimens and the setup they keep them in. Both these factors have ahuge impact on the aggression of a fish. An example of this is that I consider jags to be peaceful fish.

Many central and south american cichlids can breed and greate fertila off spring. Another example of this is the flowerhorn.

Full3R
09-25-2006, 06:12 AM
I want a flowerhorn so bad :(

William
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Not available down under?

Full3R
09-26-2006, 02:16 AM
no there available at the ready, fry from $6 that are 2 inches and up to $25 for 8 inches just cant keep them with any of my fish

William
09-26-2006, 02:46 AM
Ok. They can be a bit aggressive. Almost suprised to hear that they aren't banned though considering the damage they do when introduced into the wild.

Full3R
09-26-2006, 03:16 AM
What damaga have they done?

keep in mind william you might not remember it but ages ago i asked you if i could keep flowerhorns with oscars because my mate has a 140 gal with 2 oscars and 2 ghost knives in it and he wanted a flowerhorn he saw at the shop so im pretty sure they are allowed here, lol :P just joking man u rock

What size tank would u need to keep a flowerhorn with 2 oscars and 2 acaras?