PDA

View Full Version : freshwater toadfish/lionfish

snapdragon9
02-12-2008, 03:14 AM
I am thinking about getting a freshwater lionfish for my semi-brackish 20 gal I'm setting up. How venemous are these guys, and do you know how big they get? The other tankmates would be two dwarf gouramis, one knight goby, and possibly a black ghost knife.

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2008, 03:16 AM
black ghost knife need a 250g fullgrown and are FW.

i have no idea how big toadfish get though, i think they need at least a 55g

Treerat
02-12-2008, 03:42 AM
I have one and its pics are in my gallery here... and they best at 1.005 to 1.010 BW. Sand and rocks is what they love. Sunglow light, warm water and gentle current. Mine is 7 inches and is territorial. Any tank mate not as poisonous or as prickly as he is might as well be lunch. They love a gold fish meal but need crustateans too. I love mine and I learned about them the hard way throught trial and error.

smaug
02-12-2008, 03:49 AM
I am thinking about getting a freshwater lionfish for my semi-brackish 20 gal I'm setting up. How venemous are these guys, and do you know how big they get? The other tankmates would be two dwarf gouramis, one knight goby, and possibly a black ghost knife.
??????????????????
black ghosts are are best kept in acidic conditions as are gouramis.Please do alot more research on what kind of fish can be kept in brackwater.You did a good thing in coming here for a start.And as cocoa said knives need big tanks.There are alot of good articles and info here to help you choose well.Good luck.

snapdragon9
02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I have three gourami, (opaline, powder blue, blue opaline) and a knight goby in my 20 long. I have been adding aquarium salt, (4 tsp.) and replenish when doing water changes to help out the knight goby a little because I know he likes a little salt. I know this isn't directly affecting the gourami, yet I would like to get the freshwater lionfish.

I'm not sure if I should because I'm not sure if the brackish requirements of the lionfish would have an adverse reaction with the gourami, and if there is an actual required salinity level the lionfish demands. Also with the lionfish being venemous, would he have a problem with the other goby/gourami. So could/should I slowly convert to brackish (instant ocean vs. aquarium salt), and carry on with the lionfish purchase?

Treerat
02-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Stonefish types are only venomous if they sting you and you have to go out of your way to do that. Do not grab them around the body. Simple rule i live by :-) ... They may have three rows of teeth but they won't bite you. maybe. They are a safe fish to keep if you know to keep your fingers away from there mouth and spines. I move Ike around by tickling his tail fin. No stingers there.
Instant Ocean is what i use.

snapdragon9
02-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the info, appreciate it..although I'm probably going to abandon the idea and wait for when I can go ahead with 100% brackish species.