PDA

View Full Version : Tank setup change

GermanMusician
02-12-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm thinking about doing a tank change again for two reasons.
1 - The sand I had in there turned out to be a clay substrate, and I never rinsed it (because I didn't know it was clay until I saw the cloudiness)
2 - Because when I put the sand in the last time, I made the mindless mistake of putting the sand in the side with the thermometer...

My question is... I was wondering if a certain type of aquarium sand is okay to use. One sand that seemed to sound good was actually a reptile sand that they called "calci-sand", because it was made of calcium carbonate. Supposedly this is better than most sands because if it is ingested, it will actually benefit the animals as opposed to harming them. (I think it increases the calcium amount in their systems). Here's the link to the sand on petsmart.com:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752699&cp=&sr=1&origkw=sand&kw=sand&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

I also saw glow-in-the-dark calci-sand, which I found rather interesting. My guess is that this would probably be bad for them... a glowing substance should probably not be spreading through their water...

If anyone sees any other types of sand, the pet stores that I have relatively easy access to are PetsMart, PetCo, and PetLand. If there's any type that's particularly great to use, I could always order online, I guess.

By the way, I have the Fluval 1 underwater filter (for 12 gallons), if that helps any. Is this good or bad?

Thanks!thumbs2:

gm72
02-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Calcium carbonate will raise the pH and hardness levels. Possibly a good or bad thing depending on the fish you keep and the original levels of the water.

I have play sand in one of my tanks. Fishguy likes Estes aquarium sand. Some use pool filter sand.

GermanMusician
02-12-2008, 03:29 AM
I keep fiddler crabs, so they're on land just as often as they are in water, if not more often. Will that be okay?

Algenco
02-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Grade 20 pool sand:thumb:

shalafi04
02-12-2008, 04:12 AM
igot this "reef sand" at my LFS and its awesome. it had a little clumping at the start but it has settled so beautifully. its awesome. it was for my daughters tank so i got green, but it comes in many colors (natural as well) I will probably be at the LFS tomorrow so I will get the name of it for you.

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2008, 04:23 AM
try estes marine sand, its good for FW, its a really good sand, and pretty cheap.

at first alot of bubbles clump to it but its awesome after you stir it