PDA

View Full Version : Fry not free swimming

csharma
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
My wrigglers are 9 days old and are not free swimming yet. I've read that they would all be swimming by the 7th day. The parents are raising them. When they attempt to swim the parents grab them and put them back. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

sailor
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
What species of fish are we talking here?

csharma
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Angel - sorry!!

sailor
02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Sometimes it depends on what else is in the tank, conditions of the water, temp, or even the parents themselves. I have a couple of Chilumba Zebra cichlid females who hold for different lengths of time. Almost a week difference. I'm sure mitcore can help you out as she seems to be the angel fish expert around here.

Hope this helps (probably not LOL)

Sailor

Pr0eve
02-11-2008, 11:51 PM
the parents can be over protective, as long as the parents are not eating them they will be fine. free swimming means they are swimming/floating in the water like normal fish, out of the sticky head stage. not necessarily swimming around the tank freely..

mitcore
02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
they will free swim in a few days hopefully
you can try and cover the tank for a few days the fry might be afraid of the movement around the tank,
angel fry they can be like a naughty and stubborn child, they will not always do what you want, are you feeding them, if not are the parents still moving them to food, if so then they will be fine, they will free swim when they are ready i wouldnt be too concerned,

thanks for the rec sailor