PDA

View Full Version : I'll miss them.

lasm
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Around 1 year ago, I got two common plecos at my LFS without knowing anything about them. I got them just because I liked them. As I learned about them I figure out that I could keep them for some time until they grew.

Since my biggest tank is only 20g, I decided it was time to get them a new home. I was trying to get them home with some one that would have a tank big enough for them. After a month and a half I gave up. So, I went to my LFS and asked them if they would take them.

Indeed they did, my lovely plecos now live in one tank that my LFS has for fish that people take back or they couldn't sell. I feel bad for them, but was else could I have done?

shalafi04
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
that sucks. my brother had to give his pleco away too. but he ended up living in some guys pond somewhere. and he literally doubled in size his first month there. Im sure they are much more comfortable now that they have the room.

Tooch
02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
You did the right thing! :thumb: I'm super happy I have the room to keep my Common Pleco, Big Daddy. He's currently around 14" now

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
You are awesome and you did the very best thing for your catfish. They will be purchased by someone that has room for them very quickly.

Good for you!

sailor
02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry you had to rehome your plecos. Most of this would not happen if the lfs would properly inform the buying public about the size obtained by these and other fish.

Sailor

Tooch
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
You know... If you like pleco's, there are types that can happily live in a 20g. You may want to look into Bristlenos (ugly IMO) or Rubbermouth (cool cool). Both only get to about 5", maybe.

sailor
02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
You know... If you like pleco's, there are types that can happily live in a 20g. You may want to look into Bristlenos (ugly IMO) or Rubbermouth (cool cool). Both only get to about 5", maybe.
And they are probably 2 of the best at controlling algae

Sailor

lasm
02-11-2008, 09:00 PM

At my LFSs (Petco, petsmart, petsbarn) they only carry the common ones... I don't know why. Any advice where can I get those you say.?

Thanks..!!

Tooch
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
At my LFSs (Petco, petsmart, petsbarn) they only carry the common ones... I don't know why. Any advice where can I get those you say.?

Thanks..!!

You may want to look around for online places that will ship fish. Dr. Fosters and smith I think do this, but I'm not sure... Just be sure they guarantee their delivery so you're not out if the poor fish dies en route

fins_n_fur
02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
As much as it might have painful for you, you did the right thing for your pleco. It's not fair to him/her if you haven't the space for the right home/environment.

Why not go to planetcatfish.com or other sites and look for peckolitas that are smaller (usually grow no more than 5 inches or so). There are some cute fish ;-) and drsforstersandsmith have some, but I'm sure other on-line shops do as well.