PDA

View Full Version : 80gal

Full3R
09-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Before i get my 400 gal, im purchasing a 80 gal for my room, ive seen a t a local pet shop which is well known through NSW they have an 80 gal containing 2 oscars, 2 convicts, one large pleco and about 7 silver dollars all full grown, right now i keep my 2 acaras about 5 inches, oscars 10 and 7 inches, convicts 3 and 2.5 inches long in a 52 gal and they all get along and all come to the surface for feeding my convicts have even bred in this tank would the 80gal be suitable for these 6 fish?

Full3R
09-24-2006, 09:33 AM
sorry i did a typo it will be 180 gal

Full3R
09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/photos/anglers-choice/barramundi.jpg

Wow my barra are gunna get big,

credit to total travel

Full3R
09-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok with the 180gal im planning to by

Hood + Stand
Light and Light Fitting
Heater (Aqua One)
Filter (any Suggestions For What Type)
Gravel
Oranaments

Anything else ill need

and how big of a tank do i need for a Saratoga (Australian Arowana)

turbomkt
09-28-2006, 01:04 PM
For a filter I'd consider an Eheim Pro III (2080) or the Fluval FX5. Both will get you some very good water flow in the tank. If you want less flow, consider a pair of smaller filters.

As for size of tank...I'd think 180 gallons would be the smallest I'd consider. You're talking about a fish that gets 24-32 inches (61-81cm) in size. That's a beast! Although I have seen some aro's in town here (I'm in Yokosuka, Japan until Saturday) at the lfs that any aro fan would love to have!

As a side note, I hadn't done much research on aro's and thought this was an interesting read from Monga Bay

The Arowana is an excellent jumper, capable of leaping six vertical feet from the water. During the flood season, the Arowana has been known to use this ability to snatch young monkeys and sloths that are drinking. Unfortunately, most wild-caught juveniles are caught in a very brutal manner. Fishermen can recognize male Arowana with young in their mouth by their colored cheek patches and swollen lower jaw bones. When such a male is spotted, fishermen use an ax in an attempt to sever its head. Severing the head, prevents the male from killing the young by swallowing them, which is usually the reaction when the male is captured with a net. As the young flee the decapitated head, they are captured.