PDA

View Full Version : the filter media preparation

stardotstar
09-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I am preparing a new 4 stage canister filter.

It has 4 trays like this (in a vertical stack as shown)

Two Layers of Filter Wool
Two bags of carbon
=====
Two Layers of Filter Wool
Thoroughly Rinsed Bio Gravel
=====
Black Filter Foam
Thoroughly Rinsed Bio Gravel
=====
Blue Filter Foam
Ceramic Noodles - rinsed and now beginning to cycle in my existing tank
=====

I take it that the order of the media is quite important, and its purpose quite specific.

I have washed the gravel type bio media very thoroughly and put it in the trays under the wool/sponge. The noodles are priming in a chux bag in my existing 2' tank after rinsing in a water/filter core change bucket.

The Carbon comes in little mesh bags:

1) does it stay in these bags and get laid in the top tray under the wool - and therefore not evenly cover the tray?
2) how much should it be rinsed - I did enough for the water to be still black but so that you could see to the bottom of the bucket. At first it was pitch black?

Does this sound ok?

The Aqua One Manual is not terribly specific - except to say put them in in orderr and wash thoroughly. I am most concerned to get the carbon right.

Is anything else advisable - should i put a thin film of vaseline or something on the main O Ring seals?

TIA
Will

William
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Fish fish are you going to keep in the aquarium with that filter? Do you really need the carbon. will make it hard to medicate the tank.

1) both methods can be used. it is a little upp to you. I'll find it easier to keep them in the bags but but that can give a small reduction in effectivity.
2)I would rinse it some more to reduce the coloration of the water.

stardotstar
09-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks William, confirming your point and on other advice I have decided to drop the carbon and run with a secondary finer bio media, combine the two corse gravel media in one tray (didn't provide enough cheapskates) and add a fine gravel in the vacant one!