PDA

View Full Version : Help with diet

tibby25731
02-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi

I am pretty new to fishkeeping, and until yesterday thought I only needed to feed my fish flakes! If I list what i have in my tank, can anyone advise me on what I should be feeding my fish?

I have:
6 tetras
2 kribensis
3 ghost glass catfish
1 pleco
3 guppies
1 hatchet
1 african dwarf frog
2 rhino nosed shrimps

So, I have been feeding them TetraMin flakes. My fish shop sold me frozen bloodworm for my frog, and said the fish will eat this too, but I am thinking I need some frog pellets too, to make sure he gets enough to eat. I also bought some frozen mosquito larvae for the fish. I'm not too sure how often to give them the frozen foods, and also would like to add some vegetables and meat to the tank. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!

Laura

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
First welcome to ac!!!!! How big is your tank.....

tibby25731
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
HI, thanks for the welcome! My tank is 60 litres.

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
wow thats like 20 gallons......... The tank is packed in there.... What type of algae eater is it.... a common just the normal you get at walmart or all over the petstores....

tibby25731
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
oh dear.... I think my fish store was more interested in selling me more fish than how many were gonna be in the tank then... I added some yesterday and took in a list of what I already had!
Sorry to sound stupid - algae eater? You are talking about the pleco I guess.... all he does is hoover algae off the tank! I am not sure what type he is, he is like a dark brown base colour with yellow spots all over him, and he is about 2 inches long.

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
those kribs alone are gonna get 4-5 inches....... they might play with the shrimp although they are generally onmivores..... and that algae eater within a year will be 8 inches.... what type of tetras do you have in there....

For food I would go with an extra small fish pellet from NLS... micro pellets from Hikari and brine shrimp or tubifex worms......... also algae wafers for the algae eaters but you may wanna take him back and see if they have anything like oto cats, they are much smaller and eat as much if not more algae....

tibby25731
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
:s Uh-oh... I'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess. My pleco stays, I am in love with him. If the Kribs give me any trouble I have a friend who may be able to take them from me.
I have 3 neon tetras and 3 glowlights, pretty small right now and I am guessing they won't grow too much.
None of the fish seem to have noticed the shrimp... well, maybe the tetras have, as the shrimp are bigger than them! The pleco keeps nudging the frog though... :p
Thanks for the advise on what additional foods to get. What about fresh vegetables?

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
watch the neons around the glass catfish and that pleco is gonna cause extreme levels of waste in a 18 gallon tank..... good luck with your tank though...... Post some pictures......

tibby25731
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you! I will post some pictures soon, need to add some editing software to my laptop to shrink my pictures, I've taken a fair few already!