PDA

View Full Version : Best book

Eric_marchi
02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I am looking for the ultimate book on freshwater fish. I need a book that would have information on every species of freshwater fish like a encyclopedia. Any help would be appreciated.
thanx

cocoa_pleco
02-10-2008, 06:49 PM
dunno how to explain it but i have this book from the early 80's called "tropical aquarium fish", and has a black cover with a red betta.

its a binder, and has info on any coldwater fish, tropical fish, or cichlid, and a plant section. each species has basic info, a paragraph on the fish, and a map picture on where the fish is naturally found

Blue Ram
02-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a book called "500 ways to be a better freshwater fishkeeper" and i think its a great book! I have more books too if your interested.

shockshockshad
02-10-2008, 11:31 PM
The encylopedia of aquarium and pond fish. It has TONS and TONS of species of fish.

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
The Complete book of the freshwater aquarium....

Encyclopedia of Exotic Tropical Fishes....

Also Dave66 has a post around here called books...

Go to the top ans hit search..... then advanced search andtype in dave66 then pull down window to view all threads look for books.... On second thought hold on I'll get it......

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=16081

here ya go Dave's book sticky......

Eric_marchi
02-11-2008, 01:34 AM
I have that 500 ways to better fishkeeping aswell. And encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish. And the new encyclopedia of salwater fish. All those books are great but I find there are fish that aren't even in those books when it comes to freshwater. The saltwater book has everything. But there are freshwater species that aren't in there. So on your own expertises what is the best book for freshwater that has every species known to man. Thanx

Dave66
02-11-2008, 01:48 AM
I have that 500 ways to better fishkeeping aswell. And encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish. And the new encyclopedia of salwater fish. All those books are great but I find there are fish that aren't even in those books when it comes to freshwater. The saltwater book has everything. But there are freshwater species that aren't in there. So on your own expertises what is the best book for freshwater that has every species known to man. Thanx

I quote myself:

Doctor Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes, TFH Publishing - A tome of literally thousands of species. If you want to see what all is out there, this the granddaddy of aquarium atlases. A photo, with male and female fishes if possible, tops each of the thousands of fishes listed. Underneath is a set of symbols delineating habits, temperament, pH, hardness, method of breeding and temperature.
Information on aquarium keeping and plants, breeding and diseases, bracket the front and back pages of the book.
The book is essential as it gives one a chance to pick fishes they are interested in and do further research on them. Get the latest edition, as they reflect new scientific names and new fishes in the newest edition..

Has roughly 4,000 pictures of about 3000 species. That's pretty much all there is out there, FW wise that can be kept in an aquarium, albeit some in aquariums the size of a swimming pool. That book has a photo on every aquarium fish known to man thus far, as new fish are discovered monthly.

Dave

fishfanatic33
02-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Wow thanks Dave66,I'll put that on my wish list for my birthday!

Red
03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
does anyone know where i can find that book?
i looked on amazon and it wasent there..

Rue
03-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I have several of the new books, great photos in them...but none has all the fish I'm interested in...somewhat disappointing since none of the fish I'm interested in are especially rare or unique...

The older books are okay too, but you have to sort through a lot of out-dated information in them...

sandy_n
03-25-2008, 05:15 PM
What about Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes? Go to ebay Half.com under books. You can get it there. It's a little expensive!

DragonGoby
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I received mine yesterday, the 11th edition. I order it on amazon.ca, they have it now, so if you want it, go for it!:thumb:
At first I was very surprised because, there's not much text...
But the number of picture is...wow!!!! And even if it's coded, the information are very clear...
That's just an insane number of fish in just one book!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

By the way, Dave, if you can give me a little advice (and if you pass by this thread...):
I want to invest in another good books in fish, I've seen your list, but, I have to admit, that the Baensch encyclopedia is a little too much for me right now... I want less species than the Atlas give, and more information.
I hesitate between:
- Aquarium fishes of the world by Dr Axelrod
- Encyclopedia of exotic tropical fishes for freshwater aquarium by Dr Axelrod
- The Complete book of the freshwater aquarium : ... by Vincent Hargreaves
- 500 freshwater aquarium fish (Greg Jennings editor).

Algenco
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Got mine from Overstock.com, cheaper that Amazon

TorqueWorks
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Axelrods-Atlas-Freshwater-Aquarium-Fishes/dp/0793800331) I found it here.

Augus
06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Got mine from Overstock.com, cheaper that Amazon

Yup Overstock.com is much cheaper

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/Dr.-Axelrods-Mini-Atlas-of-Freshwater-Aquarium-Fishes/798580/product.html?

didilong
03-09-2009, 02:56 AM
find on warez forum.

cocoa_pleco
03-09-2009, 04:42 AM
find on warez forum.

old thread and wtf is warez forum?

Slow Cheetah
03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
lolz at the newbie posting comment in year old thread for first comment

tim k
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Another excellent book is the Aquarium Atlas by Dr Rudiger Riehl.

Well over 600 different aquarium fish as well as over 100 aquatic plants with full coloured pictures of every fish and plant .

Fantastic book ,very detailed.

Tim K

Red
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Doctor Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes
I am telling you, this is the best book around. I found and use it all the time..

RayDale
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Could you please tell me how I could get a free book on plants .

knarf133
03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
i dont remeber the name but i use a book that has a complete index of tropical fish and their specs from like 1960. Its a great book, it ran me through how to cycle, how to gravel, filter, and set the temperature.

MikeSlough1
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I am looking for the ultimate book on freshwater fish. I need a book that would have information on every species of freshwater fish like a encyclopedia. Any help would be appreciated.

Neon
11-02-2009, 01:37 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Axelrods-Atlas-Freshwater-Aquarium-Fishes/dp/0793800331

AABatteries
12-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I'll see what I can find out of the 100+ books I have right now. I'll tell you what is good.

marinagina
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
The best book that I have ever came across about freshwater fish is called Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes (http://allmypetsupplies.com/p-515-atlas-of-freshwater-aquarium-fishes.aspx) by Dr. Axelrod. It has answered many of my oddball questions over the years and has EVERYTHING in it. It is well worth checking out.:goldfish:

softwaretool
04-02-2010, 02:08 AM
what's its content?
Why is it interesting???

Dave66
04-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the forum. Axelrod's Atlas has 7,000 photos of freshwater fish, with both male and female of each species shown, if possible. Symbols under the photos denote needs and habits, but the giant plus with this book is the owner able to not only see what's available, can select fishes they are interested in and research each to determine if they are suitable for your aquarium.

Axelrod also has a mini-atlas, which is a good deal cheaper than his atlas, and features 4,000 photos of freshwater fish species.

Dave

KK1
04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
You just talked me into getting the perfect book I need! Thanks alot!

SamTHorn
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the hook ups.

Score of the day!!!
Cheers.

Sam

:l19: