PDA

View Full Version : My First South American Tank: Video/Info Inside

cabrego
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and would like to share my new setup
I am very excited and hope you enjoy. The tank has been cycling for a little under 3 weeks. Cycling was initiated with gold fish during week one, the gold fish were then traded for 3 cichlids to complete the cycling. Not the most conservative approach I know! Bio spira was introduced at day 18 due to the increasing ammonia/nitrite. Both were near 2ppm. Bio spira worked very well at reducing the ammonia levels from ~2ppm to .5 within 24hrs. Ammonia is now at 0ppm. Nitrites are still elevated, at ~2ppm however fish have not shown signs of stress and I am hoping the biofiltration will kick in very soon to complete the cycling process.

~95 gallon tank
Magnum 350
REna xp1
Along with other goodies

Here is a link to the video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJthMbfijYw

Fishalicious
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Nice!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Although that is one huge bio-load in a tank that has only been running for 3 weeks! I hope it all goes well....

fins_n_fur
02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Well done! Nice looking tank!

cabrego
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Nice!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Although that is one huge bio-load in a tank that has only been running for 3 weeks! I hope it all goes well....

Thanks for the reply. I am a little concerned with the bio load, of 6 adolescent cichlids and a pleco. My main concern is with the nitrite level in the tank, the ammonia has been down to zero now for a couple of days.

I am going to cease feeding for at least 24-48 hours, because my nitrites have been steady at ~2ppm for the last 3 days. I do have a bottle of prime handy in case things get out of control and I am prepared to do a 10% water change if needed.

So far the fish appear to be doing well,and have been very active. Thanks!

andy65
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
DON'T use Prime in the tank if you used Bio-Spira.

read this (http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/17805-don-t-use-prime-bio-spira.html)

It will stall your tank's cycle.

cabrego
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
DON'T use Prime in the tank if you used Bio-Spira.

read this (http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/17805-don-t-use-prime-bio-spira.html)

It will stall you tank cycle.

Thanks for the link it is interesting. I do feel that more explanation is needed.

Recall, the concentrations of Ammonia and Ammonium at any given time is a function of PH and Temperature. It sounds like the bacteria contained in bio spira can only survive on Ammonia and not ammonium.

If the bacteria strands in bio spira can not process AMMONIUM(NON TOXIC) how is it possible to maintain ammonia levels of zero?

Any thoughts?

R

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 09:54 PM
the bio-load is gonna be a problem..... alot of water changes are gonna be needed... I'd watch your water levels every day and good luck......

cabrego
02-13-2008, 06:22 PM
the bio-load is gonna be a problem..... alot of water changes are gonna be needed... I'd watch your water levels every day and good luck......

I hope it is controllable. Ammonia has been steady at zero, however nitrites are my concern (soon nitrates too). Thanks for the input.

J1400Smith
02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
I would keep an eye on that Red Devil, they can and will be very very aggressive. They say that a RD is noones tank mate.

Other than that, nice tank.

cabrego
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I would keep an eye on that Red Devil, they can and will be very very aggressive. They say that a RD is noones tank mate.

Other than that, nice tank.

ARe you talking about the Texas cichlid? I don't have a red devil.

And yes if you are talking about the texan, he is VERY fiesty.