PDA

View Full Version : I got cichlid fever.......

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 07:06 AM
So as many already know my 2 Oscars and my Green Terror are going into a 100 gallon in April some time..... That will free up my 55 gallon which I was going to put rams in.... My thoughts are this.... Why not buy a 30 long and put 6 Bolivian Rams in there and plant it..... then in the 55 gallon I could go red jewels and firemouths yeah!!!!!!!! So the only problem is how do I break this to the wife...... lol.... any suggestions......

Arkie
02-10-2008, 07:10 AM
use the reasoning... "if you love me you'll let me"!!!!!thumbs2:

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 07:12 AM
yeah then she'll turn right back around and use it on me for a new car lol.......... this could be really expensive for me.......

Arkie
02-10-2008, 07:15 AM
mmm so true. i didnt actually think of that side of it... oh geez where was my smarts when my ex used that on me all the time for new cars? i could have got my horse easy as lol :wink2:

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm thinking flowers and chocolate and earrings, hmm... maybe a braclet lol...... oh no.......

Arkie
02-10-2008, 07:20 AM
something soft and fluffy??? maybe a kitten or puppy lol

Dave66
02-10-2008, 07:21 AM
So as many already know my 2 Oscars and my Green Terror are going into a 100 gallon in April some time..... That will free up my 55 gallon which I was going to put rams in.... My thoughts are this.... Why not buy a 30 long and put 6 Bolivian Rams in there and plant it..... then in the 55 gallon I could go red jewels and firemouths yeah!!!!!!!! So the only problem is how do I break this to the wife...... lol.... any suggestions......

Are those Jewel Cichlids you mentioned Hemichromis bimaculatus? They make Convicts look like church mice even when they are NOT breeding. 'Savage' is too kind a word for them. Yes, they are attractive, and gorgeous when in breeding garb, but far more trouble when they are worth. When I bred them, about two-thirds of the time the male would kill the female before or after breeding. The rest of the time the females killed the male.
If you could manage a happy couple of Jewels, you've done something. But keeping them with Firemouths would be a mistake.
If you can get ahold of the second volume of the Baensch Cichlid Atlas, you'll see there are a lot of dwarf cichlids species that are far more interesting and attractive than plain ole Rams and Firemouths.
If you want to talk alternate stocking plans, just ask.

Dave

Arkie
02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
you serious dave??? sorry not doubting you at all, just i have a pair of jewels and they are no problem at all -besides them eating their fry at 4 days old every batch they have. ive saved about 20 from one lot and another 10 from another. but yeah mine dont fight or anything.

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Yes thats correct Dave they are a little on the excited site I'd say and a little aggressive also yes...... I already have thefiremouths in my daughters mixed african tank... I need to move them before they get unhappy and play tag with their tankmates..... I have kept red jewels and firemouths together with alot of rock caves and driftwood..... like you said the problem is mating as both red jewels and firemouths become very very aggressive....... however I had no problem keeping them together before... Maybe I just had a nice bunch....

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Also when I set my cichlid tanks I provide alot of cover 70% usually to keep them preoccupied........ I wanna stay mid sized cichlids for the 55 gallon so I'm thinking texas are nos, oscars no, gt's no, red devils no, hmm I guess maybe severum.... one each no breeding

red jewel severum and the firemouths..... hmm thats alot though too much......

TowBoater
02-10-2008, 12:48 PM
You could do as I do.... Just go out and by it and ask questions later...

Halelorf
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
You could do as I do.... Just go out and by it and ask questions later...

hehe, i've done that before with mixed results. Would probably be better to just talk to her about it than go ahead and do it. Just like Arkie said, be careful or you might just come home to a horse in the backyard :thumb:.

sailor
02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
A 55 would be a great size for some shell dwellers. I want to try a tank of them next.

RainMan
02-12-2008, 09:29 PM
LOL... sounds like a familiar problem. Do what I do.... wait, How's that expression go??? "It's better to ask forgiveness, than permission." Or something like that. I figure, if they love you... they have to love everything about you... and your fish. :)

cabrego
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Also when I set my cichlid tanks I provide alot of cover 70% usually to keep them preoccupied........ I wanna stay mid sized cichlids for the 55 gallon so I'm thinking texas are nos, oscars no, gt's no, red devils no, hmm I guess maybe severum.... one each no breeding

red jewel severum and the firemouths..... hmm thats alot though too much......

Considering the fish you have now, why not go salvini, severum maybe toss in some schooling barbs?

I actually just picked up a nice looking salvini today. A little young, so it is hanging out with my 2 inch midas until they can play with the big guys in the 125.

jbeining75
03-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow this is an older thread. Now I actually have a 55 gallon with my two Oscars and a 55 gallon with 2 Texas Cichlid and a GT. I can't go any bigger than 55 gallon due to my landlord. Thanks for the reply though.

cabrego
03-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Wow this is an older thread. Now I actually have a 55 gallon with my two Oscars and a 55 gallon with 2 Texas Cichlid and a GT. I can't go any bigger than 55 gallon due to my landlord. Thanks for the reply though.

Excuses!~ pfft :4:

jbeining75
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Not excuses lol believe me I got the money now to go grab a 125 tomorrow lol... I just have to have a house to live in lol... I seriously can't go bigger...

nanaglen2001
03-16-2008, 06:42 AM
I know why I bought a groundfloor condo without a basement under it:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: I always wanted a real big and therefor heavy tank...

Now I just need to save some money, then I will be grabbing a at least 720 litres tank.