PDA

View Full Version : bichirs diet

stubbytheplecostomus
09-23-2006, 02:33 PM
so my bichirs diet includes misc. frozen foods, shrimp pellets, and my prized crowntail betta! sometime this morning the betta escaped his tiny acrylic box inside the main tank, the bichir (on the prowl, during early morning hours) noticed the brightly colored betta swimming slowly through the plants. quickly without warning the bichir shot across the tank, grabbed ahold of the bettas tail , then shot back and forth a few times (i originaly thought the betta would drop its fin and i would be able to save him) soon the bichir slowly brought the betta to the top of the tank and held its and the bettas head above water, trying to sufficate the betta wasn't working (obvioulsy) so the bichir adopted a new tactic, and started body slamming the betta against the bottom then dragging the betta across the substrate and into rocks. the betta was still alive when the bichir began eating him, slowly like a snake the bichir pulled the betta into its mouth, the betta and myself helpless to do anything, once the bichir had swallowed his meal he retreated to his cave and i haven't seen him since.

Full3R
09-23-2006, 04:03 PM
not to be rude but if you also noticed the betta wasnt in the tank and managed to see the betta swimming through the plants why did u not grab him out before all this or at least scare the bichir around whilst he had it there was a slight possibilty you could have saved him!

DemonShark
09-23-2006, 04:41 PM
You could have saved him and from what I have heard you just stared and watch.....Still alive what a horrible way to die......

DemonShark
09-23-2006, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=stubbytheplecostomus] the betta was still alive when the bichir began eating him, slowly like a snake the bichir pulled the betta into its mouth, the betta and myself helpless to do anything, once the bichir had swallowed his meal QUOTE] You could have saved him......

stubbytheplecostomus
09-23-2006, 05:27 PM
well, i noticed the attack this morning when the lights were off, i didn't realize it had been the betta untill i turned the lights on, i initially tried to get the betta when the bichir was zooming across the tank, but the betta was to injured to have survived, even if i were to free him he would have died later. its unfortunate that it was my crowntail, he had beautiful colors. but it was a fish, being eaten by another bigger predatory fish, people feed goldfish to parhannas, mice to snakes, and so on. this morning i observed some of the most fascinating natural behavior i have ever seen in a fish. i'm sorry if this offends betta lovers, i love them too thats why i keep them.

Full3R
09-24-2006, 01:43 AM
I apologize i was lead to believe you saw the betta in the tank and that you just left him in there on purpose, im sorry if i did seem rude though

DemonShark
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Yea me too I thought you were just watching opened mouth lol and Im sorry if I offended you