PDA

View Full Version : What to do with aggressive tetra?

PUNISHER VETTE
02-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I have 1 kinda aggressive neon tetra in my tank. There are only neon tetras in my tank but it goes around chasing the others.

Will he hurt the others?

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
he might stress them out or beat them up. Try to remove him for a couple days then put him back into the tank if you can.... This will break any terroitorial dominnce he had established....

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2008, 08:15 PM
give it 3 days, if it persists get rid of the trouble maker

PUNISHER VETTE
02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
I added 5 more today and thought maybe the new ones would form some sort of alliance against the meany but i don't think so. He's just a little too big for them.

I had the lights off all day so for the new ones but if it's still being mean tomorrow i'll separate him for a day or so.:thumb:

Bobo the Clown Loach
02-10-2008, 04:54 AM
I added 5 more today and thought maybe the new ones would form some sort of alliance against the meany but i don't think so. He's just a little too big for them.

I had the lights off all day so for the new ones but if it's still being mean tomorrow i'll separate him for a day or so.:thumb:

I got a good chuckle out of the "strength in numbers" attempt. That sounds like something I would do.

KcEE
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Aggressive neon tetra? Wow, I haven't seen that before! Good luck...I hope it calms down instead of having to get rid of it. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Little guy must think he's a big boy. Could it be that he is trying to find a mate? I agree with cocoa pleco that if he doesn't stop to eliminate him. As much as I have hated doing that, I have at times for the good of my other fish.

sailor
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Try picking up one of those little breeding nets that you hang off the side of your tank. Put him in there for a week or so that might smarten him up.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah he's still doing it today. I just got a big empty coffee can i used to use for water changes and put him in that which is floating at the top of the tank. Just so it doesn't get too cold for him or anything like that. and i can add water every few hours.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think it's working. The one he was picking on now thinks he's the boss.

My tetras are bad eggs i tell you. :c11:

KcEE
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Oh no...the little one that was being picked on is now letting it out!? Hmm...I think they might be fighting on who should be the leader of the pack. How long has this been going on? How long have you had them?

PUNISHER VETTE
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
They've been in the tank about a month now.

tougeferio
02-17-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm having the same problems with one of mine. I have one that just hangs out in the corner and when one or two come by he goes after them.

I've had them for two days. It kinda sucks. just wondering if anyone has any more ideas.

kitten3326
02-17-2008, 05:44 AM
I never thought I would see the day, that neons would be considered aggressive. Sorry for the trouble your having, I had to do that with one of my discus separted him for 5 days and now not such a bully anymore.

NickFish
02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
All my tetras fight for a little while when new to a tank.
Whenever I introduce a new school into my tank they all fight amonst themselves for who will be the supreme ruler of all of their species.
It usually takes a week or so for them to figure this out, but every now and then they have minor disputes to keep the others in line.

If things get too out of hand, give him back to the store or separate them, but there will always be a dominate fish, when you took the dominant one out there was a new battle for leadership. But hopefully this leader will be nicer than the other one.

Pr0eve
02-24-2008, 06:39 AM
bring them over to my house, I will put them in my cichlid tank, they will straighten him up right quick.

JK.

Neons, funny little things aren't they.