PDA

View Full Version : Found driftwood

TowBoater
02-09-2008, 03:08 AM
But it is to big to boil. I hate to burn it by using the over and I hate to use bleach. I found a place that said after you clean it you can just weight it down and use it. Would it be alright to just like but hot water over it in my tub and letting it sit for a while after scrubbing it and then using it in the tank by weighting it down? It was dry along the bank of my local lake.

smaug
02-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I dont personaly see a reason to boil driftwood that was found next to a clean body of water.Truly I would think that if you thought the driftwood would have any contaminant at all ,that it wouldnt be worth the risk at all.If its a big piece you will have to put alot of weight on it to sink it.My big piece had to soak for a week before 15# of rock would keep it down.

Tigerbarb
02-09-2008, 06:18 AM
If it is found in the ocean, I would definitly not use it, though if found at a clean freshwater source of water you should just try boiling it in a pretty big pan and maybe run the vinegar test on it. You could also put it in water and test the ph after letting it soak to see if it is aquarium safe.

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2008, 06:20 AM
just fill a 5g bucket with warm water, slowly pour it on the driftwood and scrub it

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 06:21 AM
just because the waters clear doesn't mean its clean...... I would definetely get it boiled somewhere Kuli... you are jeporidizing putting bacteria and parasites in your tank if you don't. the pouring hot water won't work as it doesn't saturate the wood enough. The wood has to saturated and heated high to kill all the parasites and bacteria....

TowBoater
02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I got nothing to boil it with. What about scrubbing it, back it, and then letting it sit in a hot tub of water for a little bit. It was dry as I said.

sailor
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Do you have a dish washer, run your dishwasher empty with no soap or rinse agent a couple of times to make sure no lingering detergents anywhere. Then run the driftwood through a couple of times.