PDA

View Full Version : Help! Red zebra cichlid fry

Atlantis Child
02-09-2008, 12:58 AM
:help:

Red zebra cichlid fry were donated to the pet store I work at, but I offered to take them. I have an extra 5 gallon right now I was using for my mom dwarf platy, but moved her out. At work they don't really have time or a good place to look after them.

I don't know how old they are, but they aren't that tiny. Raiseing the temp to 27 celcius.

I've never had cichlids before, and at the pet store, in the fish room where I work they aren't my expertise. So I don't know much about them, but I really want to raise them.

Please help me! I'm researching as fast as possible, but need help from you experter people.

So far have left the fake bottom grass in, put some gravel from another tank with algae browth on it, begun temp raise, and will put the fake little hiding horizontal log I have for my corys.

I want to give these little guys the chance to live. I can't find it in me to not do something.

Oh, there's about 25 of them I think.

- Atlantis

sailor
02-09-2008, 01:10 AM
For a african fry tank(or any fry) it would be better if it was a bare bottom tank. It is easier for the fry to find the food and easier to keep clean as it is best to do water changes 2 to 3 times a week. More water changes than normal as they foul the water more and require feeding more often. An air pump driven sponge filter would be best for them, if you are using a HOB put a sponge over the intake. They will appreciate a few places to hide that's for sure. That 5 gallon won't be big enough for long as they grow fast. I feed ny fry ground up nls growth formula, thats all they need.

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 01:30 AM
most fry eat 5-7 times a day. I agree with sailor about no substrate.....

Atlantis Child
02-09-2008, 02:08 AM
It's just a small hand full of gravel so they get some algae. My filter is on low, and has small slits. I think it will be fine for them. They're too big to fit through, and seem to be smart enough, and are strong enough not to be sucked in. But I also have a bubbler I could use. Problem is it's very, very noisy, and I'd have to turn it off at night.

What is HOB and nls growth formula? I have many different fish food around, but what should I feed? Is just algae enough? I have algae wafers but thought ciclids need more meaty food?

I have Hikari Micro Wafers. They might take them. Will they eat off the bare bottom, or will I need to float it down. What about baby brine shrimp?

- Atlantis

Algenco
02-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Baby brine shrimp would be great, they'll eat about anything that will fit in their mouth.

How are your CPD doing?

squirt_12
02-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Baby brine shrimp would be great, they'll eat about anything that will fit in their mouth.

How are your CPD doing?
ditto....also they should take crushed flake food.

sailor
02-09-2008, 02:23 AM
HOB = Hang on back filter ie aquaclear
NLS = New Life Spectrum it's a brand of fish food.
They will eat it where ever they can catch it LOL
The bare bottom just makes it easier to keep the water cleaner as they are messey little buggers.

Atlantis Child
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
How are your CPD doing?

How do you know about those? Anyway, my 3 died in an unfortunate accident. The 10 juveniles I got are almost grown, or maybe fully. Starting to get really pretty. Love hanging out in the jungle I made for them, and the neons, and dwarf pygmy catfish.

I'll give the BBS a go. Will take 24 hours though. I never know if they eat them or not. they're so tiny! Oh well.

- Atlantis

squirt_12
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
they also might eat micro worms.....they are very good for them. live micro worms.

sailor
02-09-2008, 02:46 AM
I stated in my first post about feeding the fry NLS growth formula, there was a reason for this as this is a complete diet for growing fry. It is basicly the same as regular NLS just in a smaller form with a few added nutrients. You can get by with regular NLS, just grind it up in a mortar and pestle. If you can't find NLS use another high quality cichlid pellet or flake.
Red Zebra Cichlids are primarily herbivorous and too much protein in the diet is bad for these fish. Chopped zucchini, spinach, and peas should be offered and are particularly important to help your Cichlids once they get past the fry stage to maintain proper growth and color. Herbivore flakes and tablets are also available to supplement the diet. Vegetable matter should be the mainstay of the Red Zebra Cichlid's diet. Once they hit the juvenile stage approx 1 inch and larger, Most will do well when fed once a week on protein sources such as brine shrimp, frozen beef heart, daphnia, and plankton. Some people also offer live or frozen bloodworms, however, many people maintain that bloodworms can cause intestinal blockages in Cichlids and do not include these in their fish's diets.
I am just passing this on so you can do the best thing for these fry you are trying to save and raise. I am not pulling my own chain but I have been raising rift valley cichlids for many years and know alot about their dietary requiments.

Thanks

Sailor

Algenco
02-09-2008, 02:48 AM
How do you know about those? Anyway, my 3 died in an unfortunate accident. The 10 juveniles I got are almost grown, or maybe fully. Starting to get really pretty. Love hanging out in the jungle I made for them, and the neons, and dwarf pygmy catfish.

I'll give the BBS a go. Will take 24 hours though. I never know if they eat them or not. they're so tiny! Oh well.

- Atlantis

:c12: I get around. They will love the bbs

Dixie
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
From what I've read about Cichlids, Sailor is right on. Some, maybe even most, don't even bother with the extra protein like beef heart, blood worms etc. as New Life Spectrum food is suppose to have enough in it and too much protein can be really bad for them. Good luck with the new fish.

Atlantis Child
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
...The little towel I used under the filter got wet and wicked half the water out onto the carpet over night. Ugh. -1 point on my parents scale of my keeping fish (all the 3 of my tanks are in my room, and don't have proper hoods, just DIY covers).

Weird about protein being bad for cichlids. THought they needed more than the normal tropicals. Oh well, novice at these guys

Anyway.

I can't get the NLS around here, but I have a lot of different fish foods around. They're mostly the 'meaty' foods, but hopefully one or more will be what these good for the zebras. Eliminating the liquid fry food I have:

1. Freeze dried tubifix worm cubes
2. Livebearer food (flake and tubifix worms)
3. Hikari Micro Wafers
4. Complete micro granules for all small tropical fish
5. " flakes " " " " "
6. Frozen blood worms
7. Frozen glassworms
8. Freeze Dried blood worms
9. Freeze dried Mysis shrimp (and the aquarium water and mysis shrimp I froze)
10. Betta food
11. Hikari Algae wafers

12. Baby brine shrimp when hatched (tomorrow)

I think that's all I have in my inventory. I can get more food at work monday on discount, but would rather not if I don't need to. Will definately get ciclid flake though.

Oooh, we do sell frozen baby brine shrimp though. Is that pretty much as good as live? Can't raise them live all the time. Not enough time. Do have life outside of my fish actually.

What about live algae? I can get them that easy. Not that I've got algaed up tanks, but hey, doesn't everyone have a little?

- Atlantis

Atlantis Child
02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Did a water test. Strip, yeah I know they aren't super accurate. They have the liquid master kit at work for testing peoples' water samples. I'll take some to work.

GH - 150
KH - about 200
pH - 7.2
NO2 - 0.25
NO3 - 10

- Atlantis

Atlantis Child
02-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Wow...these guys are eating so much. I give them three or four pinches of livebearer flake a day and they eat every little bit.

They're eaten all the algae off the algae-ed up gravel and sponge too. I'll put hald an algae wafer in to see if they go for it.

And I swear they're gotten bigger already too!

- Atlantis

Dixie
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Sounds like they're doing good. Sorry about the water mess you had on the carpet. I still think you should get some cichlid flakes for them though. After all they aren't live bearers and it might not have the correct nutrients in it. It just sounds like a good idea to give as close to correct food as possible to young developing fish. Good luck.

RainMan
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't read the entire post... but, you should never give mbuna any of these things on your list:
1. Freeze dried tubifix worm cubes
2. Livebearer food (flake and tubifix worms)
6. Frozen blood worms
7. Frozen glassworms
8. Freeze Dried blood worms
10. Betta food

ALL OF THESE ARE TOO MUCH TO DIGEST... It's a gauranteed cocktail for bloat.

These might be okay... not 100% sure what all of them are.
3. Hikari Micro Wafers
4. Complete micro granules for all small tropical fish
5. " flakes " " " " "
9. Freeze dried Mysis shrimp (and the aquarium water and mysis shrimp I froze)
11. Hikari Algae wafers

I never give any of my cichlids anything with protein higher than say... 42-46% tops.

Brine shrim is a nice treat... it's not staple though. I don't know about Mysis shrim... but if they are hard shelled.. forget about it! Algae wafers would be okay if you can break them up into edible size (However, they sink really fast and more than likely it's just going to make a mess on the bottom of the tank). Those are best for bottom feeding catfish.

My advice to you... Get some real cichlid food. Spirulina is good, micro pellets, and flakes... you really shouldn't even think about anything else. Especially for fry.

I know you think you are helping them... But, If you can not supply the right food and conditions... then you should really find them a new home. Preferably with somone with experience with african rift lake cichlids. That shouldn't be too hard to do. I know I would take them in a heart beat.

RainMan
02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Sorry to be so blunt... but, i read over and over again... people giving you advice about the food. It should be your top priority. They might be eating a lot... but, their not getting the nutrients they need. It's like you eating a ton of steak and never eating any vegetables... you're gonna get sick. Or worse... it could be like you eating a ton of McDonalds... That's gonna kill you eventually.

Atlantis Child
02-18-2008, 12:49 AM
S'ok to be blunt, I want to be corrected.

Anyways, they're on the good food now and beginning to look more yellow and less see-though.

I feed a (really groundup) pinch 3 times a day. I vacunm 25-50% of the water out every other day.

That shouldn't be too hard to do. I know I would take them in a heart beat.

Too bad you don't live nearby.

Skeptical anyone else. I chat with cichlid people at the store and they probably wouldn't take them if I paid them to. They're trying to get rid of theirs.

Most people don't want the hassle of fry, even if they're easy to take care of. Which these aren't number one on the easy scale are they...

- Atlantis

Dixie
02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm so glad to hear you got them the right food. Sounds like you're taking really good care of them too. Well done!(pat yourself on the back, for real). It's been a little while now. Are they still growing and doing good? I bet they are. Sorry you're having a hard time finding homes for them. Maybe when they get some size to them (they are beautiful fish), prolly need a bigger tank before then though. How many are there?

RainMan
02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah... how is it going? I would take them... if I were closer and if I had the room for them. Sorry, I can't help you there.

They are a pretty hardy fish... I can't imagine why people wouldn't want them???