PDA

View Full Version : Female blood parrot needs company?

Kalyandra
02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I have had a blood parrot cichlid for a few years now.. I guess she is about 3 or 4 years old. I keep her in a 55g aquarium with some other smaller fish, and she seems to do ok, but I'm thinking about finding a male for her, and I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.

Two days ago, I discovered some eggs on the side of the aquarium, near one of the pits she had dug. I wasn't aware that they would lay eggs without a male present, but I guess you learn a new thing every day. Should I try to find her a partner? If so, what would be the best way to go about finding a good one, because I hear they are fairly hard to sex. I didn't even know the gender of the one I have until I spotted the eggs.

I got this one at Petsmart, but I don't know if I could reliably find a male in the same way. Is there a place online that might be able to reliably send a male to me?

shalafi04
02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
sounds like a tough situation. i dont know, but Hobbs may be able to help. good luck

Goshawk
02-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Just to tell you if your looking for little BP there won't be any because most males are infertile because there hybrids. Also a great place for BP info is http://parrotcichlid.com/. I've always wanted a BP.

Dixie
02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
If you get her a male Pink Convict and they breed, you'll get Jellybean babies. I just read this the other day. I don't have any experience with it.

sanddigger
02-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Hi Kaly,

Trying to find another male BP would be quite hard and costly. Convicts as Dixie said may spawn with her. I have read Severums, RD's will too. Just try to remember when fish lay eggs it's not as if they need "a partner". Plus BPs for the most are like "Mules". The are "infertile". But hey if you want to try, it's worth a shot. I have my Munch and Abe BPs close to three years. Heres some pics from a few years ago with my Blue Sev, Jeckle. Gotta love "em". Good Luck:thumb:

jbeining75
02-10-2008, 04:01 AM
go for the jellybeans........

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2008, 04:15 AM
No point in trying to find her a partner as he would be infertile anyway. They go thru the motions but it doesn't take. Parrots can mate with Convicts producing Jelly Beans, tho. But your convict would not be a good choice for smaller fish in the tank. She is probably just fine alone.