PDA

View Full Version : Oto Feeding

Blue Ram
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
:help: Ive latley wanted to purchase some otos but Ive learned that lettuce and veggies alike should be offered if not enough algae is present. I will have enough algae for a while but not enough to last long enough. So what foods should i use and how shoulf they be prepared?

Tooch
02-08-2008, 05:54 PM
If you want to take the easy route, just buy some Hakari alge wafers and chuck them in a couple times a week. Another thing you could do is find a lighting scheduled (depending on your tank needs) that will enough alge to grow daily to sustain your oto's naturally. I have a Garra Panda, and I leave the lights on for 10 hours a day. Every other day or so I'll throw in 1/4 - 1/2 an alge wafer for him.

Typically the only prep for veggies you need is to maybe blanch them alittle. All that means is throwing them in some boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up a bit.

Blue Ram
02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
If you want to take the easy route, just buy some Hakari alge wafers and chuck them in a couple times a week. Another thing you could do is find a lighting scheduled (depending on your tank needs) that will enough alge to grow daily to sustain your oto's naturally. I have a Garra Panda, and I leave the lights on for 10 hours a day. Every other day or so I'll throw in 1/4 - 1/2 an alge wafer for him.

Typically the only prep for veggies you need is to maybe blanch them alittle. All that means is throwing them in some boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up a bit.

Ok thanks! Ive done some reading on another site and it suggest putting some rocks in a bowl and soaking them in water next to a window to grow some algae covered rocks. The plop a couple in once in a while and keep cycling the rocks around so Ive got a never ending supply of algae that way. What do you think?

Tooch
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok thanks! Ive done some reading on another site and it suggest putting some rocks in a bowl and soaking them in water next to a window to grow some algae covered rocks. The plop a couple in once in a while and keep cycling the rocks around so Ive got a never ending supply of algae that way. What do you think?

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a pretty nifty idea! :thumb:

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
throw in some Hikari algae wafers.........I'm sure they eat em up....

Blue Ram
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I've got some of those! I feed them to my loaches every 3 days or so!

Blue Ram
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
What types of veggies do you reccommend I feed to them? If I were to choose that option over the others.

Tooch
02-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I hear cucumbers, lettuce and potatoes are well like. I've heard some people mention squash as well.

Dave66
02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a pretty nifty idea! :thumb:

Z,
I've been doing the 'algae on stones' thing for ages and ages, in kiddie pools on my deck. I use guppies for the most part for an ammonia source and to eat the skeeter larvae. Takes a month or so to get a good crop of algae. T'aint rocket science, my man. People have been doing the same thing for decades.

Dave

Tooch
02-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Z,
I've been doing the 'algae on stones' thing for ages and ages, in kiddie pools on my deck. I use guppies for the most part for an ammonia source and to eat the skeeter larvae. Takes a month or so to get a good crop of algae. T'aint rocket science, my man. People have been doing the same thing for decades.

Dave

Live and learn! :thumb: