PDA

View Full Version : Planted Tank and low pH

Axis of Weasel
02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a planted tank that I'm starting to cycle. I notice that the pH is kinda low (6.4) and I assumed it was because the isn't enough CO2 in the tank -- since fish produce CO2 and CO2 increases pH. Does it seem like this is the problem?

There are plant care pills I can add that add CO2 and thus pH, right?

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
you can use flourish for your plants.... fish give off nh4 ammonia not co2..... thats why ferts need added...... the plants will absorb co2 and ammonia and turn to oxy.......

Algenco
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
CO2 lowers PH

smaug
02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a planted tank that I'm starting to cycle. I notice that the pH is kinda low (6.4) and I assumed it was because the isn't enough CO2 in the tank -- since fish produce CO2 and CO2 increases pH. Does it seem like this is the problem?

I would kill to have naturally low ph like that.For a planted tank that is perfect.Its the perfect excuse to go with some acid water loving fish .If you wish to add co2 via chems then seachem excel is the way to go.

Incredulous_Ed
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
You have very very good water for a planted tank!!!! Leave the pH where it is. Co2 loweras pH.

Dave66
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Axis,
I'm afraid you have things backward, my friend. Excess Co2 drives pH DOWN not up. If you aerated the tank in the evenings the Co2 would be driven off and your pH would slowly rise. You're aiming for pH 6.8, gH 4 or 5, kH 5 or 6, if you want to keep plants.
The plant care pills; are those those fizzing little things you put into a little plastic bell to diffuse Co2 into the water, or are they tablets you push into the gravel?

Dave