PDA

View Full Version : More Fish?

ilovenickle
09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank with a few plants and 6 zebra danios. Do I have room for any more? I hate having only danios in there, but I love them enough that I want them to be most comfortable. I want a female betta, but would she work in this tank? If not, I'll buy a bowl. :) What and how many do I have room for? Thanks.

William
09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
I think taht the female betta would do better in that tank than in a bowl.

Have you considered getting a bristlenosed cat to it.

ilovenickle
09-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Great! Is there room for anything else? Do you have a link to information about a bristlenosed cat? I'm very new to aquariums, but I've fallen in love with the hobby so quickly. What about feeding? Bettas are MUCH slower compared to zebra danios. My danios try to eat anything. x.x; Would they get to the food before my betta? I have a betta in a 2.5 gallon bowl, and he does great in there with a plant, so I'm getting the famle no matter what (don't worry, I can get her her own bowl).

How many more fish can I have, and what species? Keep in mind that I'm a beginner, although I am a VERY meticulous one. I do my homework first and test my water weekly. My tank has cycled, and I'm ready for some diversity.

Glasstapper
09-23-2006, 12:51 AM
(oops - wrong thread. sorry)

Slow Cheetah
09-23-2006, 03:31 AM
maybe you could put a dwarf gourami. better check with william that they are compatable with danios

kimmers318
09-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Other than the betta what other fish do you like? There are loads that work well with danios so narrowing it down should help. I personally would want something bottom level who would help clean up the food that falls, which would also make for easier feeding...while the danios are busy being crazies at the top, drop a little something that falls for the bottoms guys...and then later they will find bits and pieces of the fallen flake also. There are several types of small corycats that are cute as can be and are not hard on your bioload. Bristlenose plecos are great also as William suggested, we have 2, although they more or less slowly go around cleaning everything, not run around the bottom playing like the corys. Another consideration is that it is recommended to keep bogwood in the tank for them to nibble on for their digestion. (I think there is actually some other types of wood that work, but bogwood is available to me so I use it). Another consideration is the bristlenose is a pleco....pleco=poo machine...even our little guys make large poos!

ilovenickle
09-23-2006, 05:01 PM
To be perfectly honest, I know next to nothing about different kinds of fish! I know loads and loads about bettas and zebra danios (except breeding-- yet) because these are the fish which I keep, and like I said, I do my homeowrk.

Anyway, to my point: Will someone give me a link to a good "profile" site so I can look at the fish, note their behavior and water requirements, see if they'd eat my plants, etc?

EDIT: I found some profiles of corydoras catfish and dwarf gouramis. They are both lovely fish and probably would be no problem with my danios. They both seem to be hardy creatures.. I just don't know which one! The dwarf is more colorful- it would really brighten my tank. But the cories, so I read, are very friendly.

How much room do you think I have left? I mean, if you were me, what would you do? Do I only have room for ONE more fish? I have ample time to clean, and do water changes, but I'd prefer not to overstock my tank in the first place.

I've ruled out the bristlenose.. I feel it would grow too large. Five inches in adulthood is very big, for my ten gallon tank.

What colors do cories come in?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure i'm doing this right.

Thank you.

Glasstapper
09-23-2006, 05:12 PM
ilovenickle, I've found this site to be incredibly detailed. As I'm sure you already know, though, you can't just go off of what one site says. Usually, I get at least 3 different sites' info on what fish before drawing my conclusion.

Anyhow, it's a great start:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/

A couple others I get info from:
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/nav/freshwater/index.html

(this site has great profile info, as well. here's a direct link)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-list-1.html

If ever you need to find out the scientific name of a fish, just type in the common name in google.com, and you get loads of info just on that one type of fish.

ilovenickle
09-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Thank you glasstapper, this will give me a chance to look at even more species.

So many conflicting profiles! I think cories are out, because I DO NOT have room for 5, and they are schooling fish.

I've fallen in LOVE with the dwarf gourani. Apparently they are easy and hardy and will eat anything. They are beautiful and friendly. They should not, however, be kept with fin nippers! I read that zebra danios are fin nippers, but to curb this behavior keep them in a school or 6 (like I have) or more.

Here comes the question: Should I buy a gourami and see if my danios torture it, and take it back? Or should I not risk it at all?

Severus
09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Check out liveaquaria.com as well. Just to add a few suggestions to the ones already given for compatible fish, you could try: Platys - Tetras- Mollies (kind of iffy)- hatchetfish - Rasboras... etc.. Just look around and read up ( which it seems like you do already) and you'll learn a lot pretty quickly