PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Keeping - New Members

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Oscar –

Common name: Oscar, Albino Oscar, Albino Tiger Oscar, Red Oscar, Oscar Cichlid, Velvet Cichlid, or Marble Cichlid
Scientific Name: Astronotus Ocellatus
Family: Cichlidae

IN THE WILD: The Oscars origins stem from South America and the waters of the Amazon and surrounding basins. Oscars are native to Brazil, French Guinea, Columbia, and Peru and occur frequently in the Amazon River and surrounding basins. They grown in nature to lengths of over 17 inches long and eat a stable diet of small terrestrial insects, smaller fish and crustaceans. They inhabit slower moving white water habitats that provide cover with fallen branches or debris. Populations have developed in Australia, China, and Florida. These are not native species but introduced. The Oscar has not flourished in other parts of the world because of it’s need for warmer waters (above 56 degrees F). Most Oscars in natural environments are black with orange developed lines along their bodies. It is believed the reasoning for this is to prevent fin nipping from Piranha, which also inhabit the warm waters of the Amazon. Oscars are used as a food source in many countries but due to their slower growth rates are not an agricultural staple for these countries.

IN A AQUARIUM: Oscars in aquariums that support their full growth generally range from 12-14 inches once fully developed. No two Oscars are the same. Their behavioral patterns can not be predetermined by research as Oscars are very opportunistic eaters and a very intelligent species of fish. Oscars are kept by many aquarists because they are seen as a very intelligent and outgoing species of cichlid. They are as aggressive as other large South Americans that are found in nature with them. Oscars can differentiate between their owners and others and are often docile enough to be petted after feeding. Play for Oscars includes moving rocks or plants around the aquarium. Oscars should be kept at a temperature range of 72-80 degrees F, with ideal temperature at 77 degrees F. They like their water slightly softer than most and prefer an ideal ph range of 6.8 – 7.6 with ideal being 7.2. Oscars are very messy eaters and therefore need exceptional filtration in their tanks. It is recommended for a pair of Oscars to filter four times the normal capacity of the tank to keep levels in the tank normal. Furthermore, because Oscars are messy they need weekly water changes of 20-30% and vacuuming of their substrate. Oscars prefer their tanks to 50-70% hiding places and structures breaking line of sight will control aggression in the tank. Oscars can be kept with other Oscars or South Americans such as Jack Dempsey’s, Texas Cichlids, Pacu, or even silver dollars. It is recommended for a single Oscar to have no less than 55 gallons, for a pair 75 gallons or more are needed. When breeding Oscars become very territorial and other species should be removed if possible. Oscars will often perform a courtship where they will lip lock for hours at a time, if during this time one backs down, they are usually attacked. Also occasionally during mating the males will kill the females. Breeding Oscars is easily achieved once paired. Oscars mature after 1 year of age and can continue to breed for the remainder of their life. Normal life spans for Oscars in an aquarium setting with good water quality and proper nutrition is 7-8 years. An Oscars diet should consist of many a good stabled high nutritional pellet like Hikari Bio-Gold or NLS formula. Oscars diets are also supplemented with krill, freeze dried shrimp, bloodworms, or vegetables like peas, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini. Oscars are amazing fish to keep if you keep them correctly. Hopefully this post will help you better understand the Oscars needs and origins……..

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 04:16 PM
bump so people setting Oscar tanks can see........ Good luck new Oscar owners

Bassfan
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
very nice JB. One thing, if you feed them the NLS a varied diet isnt nessisary as you will see better results just feeding the NLS. It's a complete diet.

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
very nice JB. One thing, if you feed them the NLS a varied diet isnt nessisary as you will see better results just feeding the NLS. It's a complete diet.

I'd still supplement it. Upto you though.....

Bassfan
02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
If they do decide to get an oscar and get NLS, id get the freeze dried shrimp once a week. Maybe some dried cranberrys, rasins, crickets. Oscars like that.

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
If they do decide to get an oscar and get NLS, id get the freeze dried shrimp once a week. Maybe some dried cranberrys, rasins, crickets. Oscars like that.

Wait you just said don't suppliment them and now your supplimenting shrimp and veggies........ You're confusing me here which one do you do just nls or do you suppliment???

Bassfan
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Oops, i meant if you go with the Hikari cichlid bio-gold+. You honestly dont need a varied diet with the NLS because it is a complete diet. but with the other foods, rasins, dried cranberrys,crickets,peas, algae wafers would be good to mix in. Sorry JB.

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe they get bored with the same thing 3 times a day all their life?

I would give them treats just because I like them if nothing else.

NickFish
02-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Although it says everywhere that you can feed NLS as a staplem I don't agree with this, although I'm sure fishguy will have a different view and some good pojnts on this.
It just doesn't seem proper to be feeding a fish all the same things its whole life. But thats just my 2 cents.

I love oscars, great personality, amazing fish!
But sadly one of the most mistreated...

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Maybe they get bored with the same thing 3 times a day all their life?

I would give them treats just because I like them if nothing else.

yes very good post Hobbs, thats why you vary their diet........

Bassfan
02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Alright heres what i say.. NLS you dont need to have a varied diet, it has all the ingredients a fish needs and then some, its a complete diet. With other foods not being as good, you would need to vary the diet a little because it isnt as good as a quality food such as the New Life Spectrum food(s). Ive done some researching and i read fishguys blog. Im taking his word on it.

AABatteries
02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I have an oscar and I can't get NLS but I can get Hikari. BTW its to late to prevent hole in the head. :ssad: I've improved his diet slightly and given him a few doses of medication. Still won't but he's had for almost 2 years and seems to be doing great

Ocellatus
02-08-2008, 09:01 PM
well even if a company produce a human food that contains all the nutrients human body needs and say use it as your only food for your whole life and get 10 extra years of life, I won't give a dam! lol and use every thing i enjoy to eat, and also my fish think like me, don't know about yours.
if i take the NLS i will still use some other treats.

Bassfan
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Well you can vary the diet but you dont have too. Buts itscool if you do.

Tooch
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I just started buyin my Oscar and his tankmates fresh raw shelled and de-veined shrimp and raw tilapia that i'm going to start giving them about twice a week. Other than that, they get Hakari Bio-Gold and Hakari Algae wafers, and some veggies once in awhile. Also, occasionally I'll throw in ghost shrimp or some feeders.

Incredulous_Ed
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
The arguement against treats is that a fish will take the better tasting foods over the healthier fgoods, like a child who would just eat candy instead of veggies. The arguement for treats is that they gt bored with the same food. Peronsally, I havent seen a fish get bored on the same staple diet, but I do supplement with frozen foods, because i breed some of my fish and that is what they need to get them in thhe mood, so to speak. I also feed frozen to fish that are finnicky eaters. It basically your choice. No need to argue or get mad because others have diferent opinions.

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
yes, i have oscars. i used to breed them alot but now i just have a 10" one as a pet

Fishguy2727
02-08-2008, 10:32 PM
NLS is truly complete and balanced. The best results are when it is the only thing fed. This shows that other foods dilute the nutrition in NLS. It is better than anything else out there. It has even been shown to reverse marine HLLE.

Comparing our desire for variety to a fish's 'need' for variety is not accurate. We are used to the most varied diet any animal on the Earth has ever seen. Not only do we eat almost anything from nature, but we mix it up and add chemicals to make even more. We CHOOSE to eat stuff that we know is not good for us and that is our choice. We know the risks and consequences of this and make the choice for ourselves. The fish does not get to choose. It gets what goes in the tank. Feeding it an unbalanced diet because we feel it needs variety is not good for it. We have an obligation to these animals to do the best we reasonably can for them. That includes the healthiest diet we can offer.

If you want to give the oscar (or other fish) some variety it is your choice. Keep it to a minimum though to make sure the NLS is not diluted. Once per week to month would be what I would go with. There are some options that are better than others. If you want to use live food, get a 10 going with some platies, guppies, or something similar and feed the offspring to the oscar. My goldfish get a few scoops of duckweed from my 20 every once in a while. It is definitely not going to kill them. If you enjoy it and they like it, then it is fine as long as it is a good food item and you don't do it too much.

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 12:11 AM
For the folks who don't own Oscars have you ever or even thought about it.......

Fishguy2727
02-09-2008, 01:11 AM
They are a good option as long as you can provide a large enough tank and keep up the water changes. I would consider a 75 as minimum. They have a lot of personality and can be very beautiful.

Bassfan
02-09-2008, 02:28 AM
You know what im going to do, im going to take a picture of my oscar, then a month later take another picture and you can see how much color and growth he has had in 1 month. Kinda like a before and after picture.

Ocellatus
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
thats nice bud, we are waiting!

jbeining75
02-15-2008, 01:02 AM
anyone else????? Poll is still open.....

jbeining75
02-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Figured I'd bump this up just incase any new members would like to see....... It is also in my blog.....

cabrego
03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Put me down for 2.