PDA

View Full Version : We are moving house, best way to move lg Oscar.

rainforestcooie
02-08-2008, 03:21 AM
later this year we are going to move many miles from our present location, Kids wish to take Oscar with us, so how is it done? we could move him in short bursts of 5 or 6hrs but still how canwe do it safely? Is there a way or willhe have to find yet another new home?

Dave66
02-08-2008, 03:28 AM
later this year we are going to move many miles from our present location, Kids wish to take Oscar with us, so how is it done? we could move him in short bursts of 5 or 6hrs but still how canwe do it safely? Is there a way or willhe have to find yet another new home?

As your local fish store for the big bags that fish are shipped in. They may help you with the preparations and advice. Its not terribly difficult to ship fish cross-country; people do it all the time. If they have a large enough breather bag you and the fish are set. Just put him and the bag in a styro cooler, and off you go.

Dave

sailor
02-08-2008, 03:31 AM
You can also use a large rubber maid tote and use a battery operated air pump.

rainforestcooie
02-08-2008, 03:37 AM
wont he bite the bag? we put feeder fish in a bag in his tank once to let then get use to the water and he tryed to get them through the bag. I though it might just be because it was feeder fish in the bag but he is big and spiky. have moved short distances with him in an esky but not a lot of room and then when we get there we will have to set up the tank. Kids thought that it might be ok to leave him in a smaller tank the come back to get him too. Will look around for a battery opperated bubbler

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I'd try and put him in a large rubbermaid tote and if you have a generator or something to run a pump run air into the tank.... As long as you keep the tank aerated you could probably get him half way across the US without changing the water. Oxygen deprovation and ammonia poisioning will be the worries if bagged the entire time.........

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 03:44 AM
You're making him overly aggressive by feeding him feeder fish..... 70% of the Oscars stable diet should be a high quality pellet like Hikari-Bio-Gold or NLS formula.........

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 03:46 AM
feeder fish can also cause fatty liver disease and prone Oscars to Hole in the head or Lateral Line Erosion... they are very high in fat,have almost no nutritional value and can carry diseases and parasites............ I'd try to get him back on pellets instead of feeders/....... good luck with the move though.....

rainforestcooie
02-08-2008, 03:50 AM
he was aggressive when we go him but now he usually gets hikri gold and staple daily somtimes we give him frozen brine shrimp and he has 4 tiny fish that he don't eat living with him in his tank been there for a few months now he will eats them soner or later I guess. Hates my daughter and some of the boys friends but usually he is a happy swimmer now his tank is right

rainforestcooie
02-08-2008, 03:56 AM
looks like he will be moving in the esky with a bubbler of some typethumbs2: thumbs2:

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 04:03 AM
yeah any kind of bubbler will be awesome for him.... How long of a trip is it gonna be do you know????

jdmvette
02-08-2008, 04:15 AM
You're making him overly aggressive by feeding him feeder fish..... 70% of the Oscars stable diet should be a high quality pellet like Hikari-Bio-Gold or NLS formula.........

what do you recommend for the other 30%?

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2008, 05:24 AM
I was about to ask how long is this move of yours going to take stopping for food and gas and with time alloted for delays? I would pick up a battery air pump. Some are good to run for 72 hours on batteries but take extra batteries with you just incase. Don't feed him the day before your trip. I would also change the water in his tank a couple days before you leave then add the tank water to a rubbermaid tub. Not too large. You want him to remain still and not ram around in it.

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2008, 05:45 AM

regular flakes, live crickets, krill, etc

Tooch
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
wont he bite the bag? we put feeder fish in a bag in his tank once to let then get use to the water and he tryed to get them through the bag. I though it might just be because it was feeder fish in the bag but he is big and spiky. have moved short distances with him in an esky but not a lot of room and then when we get there we will have to set up the tank. Kids thought that it might be ok to leave him in a smaller tank the come back to get him too. Will look around for a battery opperated bubbler

I recomment transporting him in a rubbermaid container with a portable air pump, although my trusted lfs recieve all their stock in large bags in styrofoam containters. This is also how they bag any larger fish that I might buy from there. They will also put in pure oxygen in the bag, which will help. Oscars don't have teeth in their mouth the way you are thinking. It's more of a boneplate. When my Oscar got my finger when I was feeding him, it felt kinda like sandpaper. I don't think it would be able to actually bite through a bag.

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM

bloodworms, krill, freeze dried shrimp and vegetables is what I supplement my Oscars with....... In nature 60% of their food is terrestrial insects..... every once in a while I'll throw a cricket in there but not to often. I try to keep their aggressiveness down as I'm going to set a 75 gallon with 2 Oscars and a Green Terror in April or so......