PDA

View Full Version : ca community

Anonymous
11-19-2004, 10:38 AM
guys, can currently setting up a new tank and am planning to stock it up with c.a. cichlids preferably viejas. do you have suggestions to which fish goes with which?

William
11-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi.
it all depends on the size of your aquarium and your personal preferences and of course your budget. Personal I would prefer keeping N Managuense and or Doovi, but thatís only me.

If you would like to keep Vieja I would recommend that you keep them with other larger and not to aggressive fishes from south or Central American. itís not that easy to find non aggressive cichlids from central America besides the viejas (still aggressive, but not as aggressive imho) So I would probably look towards South America to find suitable companions. I would consider the Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis ) or maybe some of the more hardy pike cichlids to get a little more variation in the aquarium.

If I would set up a Vieja tank I think I would do something like this. Vieja bifasciatus or I couldnít find that Vieja maculicauda, and for companions Crenicichla regani or Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis). I would prefer the first mentioned. I would also keep a small school of corydoras and a few plecos. (Chose plecos after your wallet and your expertise ;-))

I would decorate the aquarium with stones and roots creating a lot of hiding places and would also create a few hiding places at the surface for weaker Crenicichlas. I would plant the aquarium with hardier plants (anubias, javafern and perhaps some swordplants).

If you chose I setup like this I suggest you keep pH at 7 as that would be acceptable for both the viejas and the mentioned South Americans.

Hope this give you some ideas.

And Iím happy to try to answer any other questions you might have.