PDA

View Full Version : Looking for substrait snails

Furface
02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
For several years I maintained a freshwater aquarium with a species of substrait snail that most often stayed buried. They were small, maybe up to one half inch long, the shell was an elongated spiral and pointed at the end. Color was white with some dark or tan markings. They did an excellent job eating any algae on the gravel and along the bottom of the glass. They were egglayers and never bothered the live plants. I got the first ones from an old time pet shop that has since gone out of business. They said the snails had come in by accident with some fish food many years ago but they liked having them. Anyway, the snails were lost when I took the tank down for awhile. I didn't think I would miss them but now find that I do, must have forgotten the job they were doing. I've had the tank set up fo 2 years again and there is a constant problem with a fast growing mat algae on the gravel. The algae has a strong smell when disturbed, my hands and the room smell of it after I do anything in the tank. Every week I siphon it up and within a day I can see it growing back, it is so fast I can see a difference in just one hour. My Pleco fish can't keep up. I never fertilize and do one third water change every week. I do not overfeed the fish. I keep the ph high with crushed coral for the thriving guppy population that is self sustaining with good reproduction. The higher ph also eliminated the black algae that coats everything at a lower one. Anyone know what species these were and where I could possibly get some again?

Algenco
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds like Malaysian Trumpet Snails except they are livebearers. I don't have any, but I'm sure someone on hear has a few they could spare

Dave66
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
That 'algae' mat is cyanobacteria. If you increase the lighting in the tank, and use somewhat stronger filtration, it'll go away.
Oh, and the species you are after is Melanoides tuberculata, the trumpet snail.

Dave

FishGuy80
02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I found this forum just so I could post on where to find some trumpet snails and look what the first post I see is?! I am in the Orlando FL area and really need some trumpets to keep my substrate mixed. Any hints on where to buy?

Christopher

Josh708
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
U could go to a lfs or petsmart or petco and check out their live plant display. I guarantee if u look hard enough u will find a plant with enough on it to start a population. I get these pests every damn time I get a new plant. Just keep an open eye for em cause I always seem to get tiny tiny one and the one day boom 30million pop outta no where lol

smaug
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Is this the type you want?I have about a million of them.Pm me and we can work something out.

shockshockshad
02-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Normally, MTS are a HUGE pest! Many LFS's will give you them for free. Or just ask smaug.

smaug
02-09-2008, 12:19 AM
I have never found them to be a pest,I do have quite a few so every now and then I spend a half hour or so picking them out.They do not seem to harm anything allthough they have totally mixed my fluorite and torpedo beach sand .

Adrian
02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I am looking for substrate snails as well. I just don't want them to inundate my aquarium. Does anyone know of any that don't breed like mad? Thanks for the info.