PDA

View Full Version : diy planted light

hpt84
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok, after seeing so many beautiful planted tank in the tank contest, I decided to go fully planted. The main reason why I stay away from planted aquarium is because of the cost of light. i really don't want to spend around 100 for a light system for a 55g. I'm thinking about making this diy light system. This system with provide 160w (2.9 wpg). I think this is medium light so for now I'm not going to go with a diy co2.
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Light-Hood/9/
I have a few question though. Should i just paint the inside of the canopy white or should i cover it with mylar (more expensive)? Also, is a fan necessary? Or is a few vent good enough? I really have no idea how hot it will get. Any suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Inside white. Your light will have the reflectors to push the light downward.

I bought this one.
Post below

That sale ends in 4 more hours on them. I bought the legs for it, as well. It gives me a bit over 2 watts and I've been able to grow everything in it so far. Of course I have stuck with med light plants.

hpt84
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Inside white. Your light will have the reflectors to push the light downward.

I bought this one.
http://tinyurl.com/yudyl9

That sale ends in 4 more hours on them. I bought the legs for it, as well. It gives me a bit over 2 watts and I've been able to grow everything in it so far. Of course I have stuck with med light plants.
link isn't working

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry. Hated to post this link because it's so huge but here it is.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383182/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight48powercompactlight2x65 w

hpt84
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry. Hated to post this link because it's so huge but here it is.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383182/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight48powercompactlight2x65 w

Yea that was the one I was going to get. Is look very good for the price. Unfortunately being a college student and spending a lot of money to setup tank and buy fish, I'm basically broke. Well actually in debt. I'm going to give the diy a try.

hpt84
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok, I drag this project out for a very long time. I been busy/lazy. I built a canopy with 3 air vent on top at each ends. I believe the most heat that will be created would be from the transfer of energy (pin/ballast), which are located toward the ends. I added some holes in the middle too. So i attach everything together and when I put the canopy together, it isn't even. If you can't tell by the picture, I made it so that you can open from the front moving upward. Turn out I'm off by .25 in. Hopefully, I'll fix that today and add some reflexive mylar to the light fixture.

Algenco
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Mylar will really increase the usable light, the Aquarium/plant bulb available at Lowes, Home Depot, are GE 9325k, considered to be the best light for plants

hpt84
02-26-2008, 01:34 PM
The project is basically done. I fix the part that wasn't even. I attach the light fixture(1st picture). The I added glue to the fixture (2ndpicture). I then place the mylar on the glue (3rd picture). One of my biggest concern was how to block the moisture from the water since the light fixture was not moisture resistance. I found 10x12 glass at home depot and brought 4 of them, so combine is 10x48. The light is 48 long and I made the opening a bit over 10in. I attach wood so that 2 piece of wood will hold the glass on each side (4th pic). I attach hinges to the light fixture box (5th pic).

hpt84
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I then clamp the light fixture box to the main box. I screw the 4 hinges to the main box. Here is the final picture (picture 1). My sister open the canopy (2nd pic). It isn't completely done. I just need to use a black marker on all the white spot that you can see. It is time to sum up the cost.

4 x 10x12 glass = ~10
4 x hinge = ~3
screw/nail = 1-8 (i use 4 different type)
2 x nob(to open the top) = ~2
wood = ~ ( this part can vary depend on wood you use, I also got some of my wood from a scrap pile).
mylar = ~4
2 x light fixture = ~18
white/black paint = ~15
power tool = ~

My total cost was about ~70 without power tool.

I do have one question. My canopy is kinda heavy. Whoever have a canopy, can you tell me the estimate weight for a 55g canopy? I wanna make sure it isn't too heavy.

lasm
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
That's a neat job. Congrats. I would love to do my own stuff, unfortunately I do not have the necessary tools for doing so.

Algenco
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Great job! I just bought an Icecap 660 ballast so I'll be making one myself soon :thumb: