PDA

View Full Version : A stronger community......together

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey I wanted to try something with this forum..... This is a very strong forum but if we all grow individually then we could be even stronger. There are alot of educated people on here and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. What I was thinking is lets post a thread to develop our weaknesses, so here it is. My second post will start the thread...... all you have to type is your strongest strength in aquariums, then your weakest topic in aquarium.... work on the weakness through the forums this week and post what you've learned about your weakness...... Here mines goes, good luck and hopefully the community will follow........

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Strength = cichlids weakness= plants

sailor
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
What a great Idea,

Strength - Rift Valley Cichlids
Weakness - Plants as well and most other fish other than the above lol.

shalafi04
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
strength- gold fish
weakness- angels, understanding water perameters

Treerat
02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Strength... Reedfish and Cats.
Weakness... men in uniform :) and umm... BW

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Strengths......little bit of this and that

Weaknesses........Lots! I know zip about brackish/saltwater. Identification of a lot of cichlids/catfish/plants.

squirt_12
02-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Strengths - fiddler crabs / brackish and some community fish. little TINY bit of SW

Weaknesses - alot....plants, cichlids, lots of SW,...etc.

Bassfan
02-07-2008, 07:19 PM
strengths-Setting up tanks

Weakness-Getting rid of algae, it always comes back, the brown algae.

Levi
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Strengths = ?
Weaknesses = uh, lots

Dave66
02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Strengths: Freshwater planted and marine reef tanks.
Weakness: African rift lake Cichlids; don't know, don't wanna know, so there lol.

Dave

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Strengths: Freshwater planted and marine reef tanks.
Weakness: African rift lake Cichlids; don't know, don't wanna know, so there lol.

Dave

I think me and sailor are gonna cry as we are both cichlid freaks lol......

doug z
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Strengths: preparation and patience

Weaknesses: pretty much everything else, at this point.. LOL

DragonGoby
02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
strength : platy,
a little on catfish (bumblebee),
tons and tons of research on dragon goby (without actually having one but desesperatly wanting one:c10: )
identifying desease in my tank (almost!).

Weakness : my english...
plants, all of the other fish...

gemini69
02-07-2008, 08:26 PM
DragonGoby I have to disagree with regard to your weakness--your English is really very good.

strengths: nothing yet, I'm new to this but I try to do my research

weaknesses: many but number one would be lack of patience!

hpt84
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
strength = i have no idea
weakness = plants, impatience, cichlids, sw/brackish

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I think this is working good alot of posts so far.... so everyone read up in the forums on your weaknesses then just post like a paragraph or so on wednesday February 13th.. about what you learned this week on the forum... you'll be surprised at how many things you can learn on here just by digging deeper....

Bassfan
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I havent learned yet about getting rid of algae other than getting a pleco. But quick question i dont mean to take over the thread but if there is brown algae in the tank, does it grow or can you have a few spots on plastic plants and thats fine?? i kind of like it, it makes it more realistic in a way.

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I havent learned yet about getting rid of algae other than getting a pleco. But quick question i dont mean to take over the thread but if there is brown algae in the tank, does it grow or can you have a few spots on plastic plants and thats fine?? i kind of like it, it makes it more realistic in a way.

give it a week then post something up......

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
strengths- pretty much everything
weakness- coldwater reefs and some plants

fishfanatic33
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Stengths:catfish,growing java moss,spending money on fish
Weakness:EVERYTHING, but right now I'll say dwarf cichlids,plecos,and plants

Fishalicious
02-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Strenghts: Latin names :ezpi_wink1: , most community fish, Aquascaping, Dwarf Cichlids, Breeding
Weakness: African Cichlids like Tang or Malawi and Saltwater

Dave66
02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I think me and sailor are gonna cry as we are both cichlid freaks lol......

Didn't say anything about not liking Cichlids, just said I refuse to know about the ones from the African Rift Lakes. Y'see, I'm old enough to remember being able to find African riverine and South American dwarves in shops all the time. And I was really into the three little Aequidens - curviceps, dorsegerus, portalegrensis. I was doing breeding work with these three species, and had a couple shops where I could get more breeding stock to get new blood into the colonies.
Then the high-colored Rift Lake Cichlid boom hit, and there were no more dwarves to be found other than Kribs and to a lesser extent Rams, and even they were diminished in quality, and still are today.
So the rift lake species crushed my dwarf cichlid groove, and I will not forget it lol. To say I was ticked off about it would be an understatement.
Also, I keep soft, acid water species in heavily planted aquariums, and the hard water, alkaline species from the rift lakes have no place in my tanks. That, in a rub, is why I don't know a lot about the rift lakers, but if you want to talk riverine and SA dwarves, and SA and CA Cichlids, I'm your man.

Dave

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Dave you underestimate yourself.... you are the all things fish encyclopedia........ like I said when the member of the decade comes around you got my vote lol.....

DragonGoby
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Stengths:catfish,growing java moss,spending money on fish

I think it's our common strength...:hmm3grin2orange:

And thank's for the comment Gemini69, it's good to know that efforts pay!

MeganL3985
02-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Strengths--(I Like To Think...LoL) Betta's, Gourami, Tetra's, Otocats, Some Diseases, Small Tank Set-Up, Coconut Huts...hahaha....

Weaknesses--Other fish (not mentioned above), Plants, Brackish & Salt water tanks, and keeping my 2 1/2 yr old away from the food and tank hood. Haha....

digital3
02-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Strengths - When I can be successful at a planted tank, that will be it

Weaknesses - I still feel I'm learning, I just try to steer people clear of repeating my mistakes, but even then I learn something new (correcting my research and assumptions). So no, I'm not there for the 'strengths' yet. :ezpi_wink1:

Dave66
02-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I think this is working good alot of posts so far.... so everyone read up in the forums on your weaknesses then just post like a paragraph or so on wednesday February 13th.. about what you learned this week on the forum... you'll be surprised at how many things you can learn on here just by digging deeper....

I've been eye-balling Sailor's funky little Africans he keeps, and have been grudgingly reading about them; even bought a couple books. If you tell anyone that I'll call you a bald-face lier J lol.

Dave

jbeining75
02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't due such a thing to such a great person.... I have been reading so much about plants I don't think a paragraphs gonna cut it...

cichlid22c
02-08-2008, 02:15 AM
strengths -african cichlids
weakness -patience ,sw
but learned alot already on here because of you guys i just stubled up on this forum and ive been addicted ever sence

jbeining75
02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
bump so everyone can see and keep posting guys Tuesday night I will start the learning posts on here and hopefully everyone will follow on Wednesday...... we willlearn alot on this post as if 20 people post info its like a little mini fish information page....... keep up the good work guys and keep the thread going..........

NickFish
02-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Strengths- Community tanks, stocking levels, aquarium supplies

Weaknesses- African Cichlids, most SA cichlids, larger predators, oddballs.

fraggle
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Well I haven't been around that long but here goes!

Strengths - learning, dealing with sudden tank disasters (eg 3yo putting his ricebubbles and milk into the tank, or emptying an entire full tub of betta food into the tank, or....Ok, maybe that is a weakness not keeping him away from the tank!)

Weaknesses - Cichlids, all of them, wouldn't be able to name any of them by looking at them. (except maybe an Angel) Heard a lot of names, but wouldn't know a JD if it jumped up and bit me!

Incredulous_Ed
02-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Well lets see
To some extent, strengths are: Dwarf cichlids, plants, tank setup, most community fish

To some extent weaknesses are diseases and saltwater

Blue Ram
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
strenghts: algae and bottom feeders

Weakness: Plants, and everything else

gemini69
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Since I'm brand new to this I had said my weaknesses were pretty much everything and my lack of patience. My tank finally cycled (fishless) so I guess I managed to be patient enough.

I'm sure I didn't learn anything that almost everyone else doesn't already know but I had been planning on getting guppies for my first fish in the tank but after I researched them and read about all the fry they didn't sound like the fish for me. I don't feel ready to deal with moving fry to another tank or something so that they would survive nor did I feel I wanted to watch them get eaten if I left them in the main tank so I decided against guppies for now. I'm trying to stick with Keeping It Simple for now.

P.S. I ended up putting Black Phantom Tetras and Schwartzi cories in first. So far so good but it's only been one day.

Halelorf
02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Strengths- Goldfish, koi, tank setup, DIY.

Weakness- Cichlids, oddballs, aggressive and predators.

kitten3326
02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Strengths - Tank prepartion and making sure my fish have the best of everything.

Weakness - PLANTS and trying to get them to grow, and trying to learn about setting up a saltwater tank, so much to learn

aquarius56
02-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Strengths: Clowns and Catfish, community fish, feeding and water quality

Weakness: PLANTS, fear of aggressive fish in my tanks, complete lack of knowledge about just about everything else...brackish, saltwater...:ezpi_wink1:

angelcakes
02-23-2008, 05:05 PM
strength: clown loaches,plecos,catfish

weakness: plants,tetras,barbs,schooling fish