PDA

View Full Version : can you tell the diffrence between male and feamle ?

melbfish20
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Is it possible in anyway to be able to tell the difference between male and female Oscars ?

I have 2 small oscars and they are both very different, my tiger oscar is far more dominating than my albino oscar.The tiger oscar always seems to lead the albino around ,always gets to the food fist, always gets the most food and always wins the fights.Is this diffrence due to personality or due to gender ?

Arkie
02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
i dont think there is a way until they actually start spawning. i have read though that big males get a bulge underneath but im not exactly sure. my red tigers always seem to boss my albinos around to... i thought they were just rascist lol.

sailor
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Sexing Oscars is hard; some books will tell you that it is all in the colouration or patterns. The easiest way is to buy a group of young Oscars and grow them up and let nature take care of sexing them. The theory is that if you buy six or more juveniles then mathematical probability says that you should get a pair out of them. This is fine if you want to wait, as Oscars need to be about 18 months old and 6-8 inches before they are sexually mature. If you need a pair in a hurry, a way of sexing them is to compare breeding tubes. These of the male will be pointier, while the female's is shorter and broader. But you still need a number of fish to compare.

Sailor

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
its extremely hard, you just have to wait and see if they breed

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
you'll see them courting when they are ready to breed..... they'll liplock for sometimes hours at a time....... if one backs down it usually gets hurt....... thee testing their partners.....

Ocellatus
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
when they are bigger than 5-7" compare the breeding tubes and you will probably find out.
if theres nothing or theres a depression or the tube is rounded and broad, its female.
if its tiny and narrow and almost pointed backward, its male.

Pr0eve
02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Male Oscars have a more pointed anal fin than a female, while the female has a blunt/rounded anal fin.

manoj_kudur
02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
how to find male and female in oscar