PDA

View Full Version : yippee, we have some platy fry...

AquaBANG
02-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Hey guys.
So we have about 20-25 of these little ones. How do I care for them?

Fishy-Suzy
02-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Serparate them from the adults! Like NOW! You're supposed to buy baby food for them, but I pinched my regular food into really small bits. I feed them TetraMin Crisps.

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 03:54 AM
feed them smashed up flakes frequently throughout the day 4-5 times...... get a sponge over the filter so they don't get sucked in... best not to move them in the first couple days.... you can set a tank with ro if already cycled or try to leave them in there hopefully they make it...... good luck and post some pics....

AquaBANG
02-07-2008, 03:57 AM
yes, I had seperated the mom and it gave the babies in calm and peace. I read that the mom now needs peace and quiet and is still in isolation. The platy fry about 25 are now with the 20 so 2 week old guppy fry. While the guppy fry are very active, the platy ones are still not frisky. they are sitting up still against the sides and this concerns me.

AquaBANG
02-07-2008, 04:06 AM
feed them smashed up flakes frequently throughout the day 4-5 times...... get a sponge over the filter so they don't get sucked in... best not to move them in the first couple days.... you can set a tank with ro if already cycled or try to leave them in there hopefully they make it...... good luck and post some pics....
well the fry tank has a sponge filter and I am doing 50% water changes everyday. Well I have been unable to get BBS or worms, with the guppy fry, I started with crushed egg yolk droplets 4 times a day and gradually moved them to powdered flake food. Now I wonder if the same trick will work out with the platy fry :)

AquaBANG
02-07-2008, 04:15 AM
my platy mom is also not very active as before. I am sure she has done with poppng out her fry. she is still in isolation. Is this ok. Will she be alright? Because with the guppy, I lost my guppy mom after she had her fry. I dont want that to happen with my platy. She is over 2 inches and I have been having her from over a year and half.

jbeining75
02-07-2008, 04:59 AM
just use your hand like a mortar and pestle crushing theflake food very tiny in your palm with your thumb.......

AquaBANG
02-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Will be out of town for the next 3 days and hence moved the platy fry to my aunt's place who is going to be caring for them in my absence. I miss them so much.