PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf troubles...

ESaputo
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
So my first dwarf gourami ended up kicking the bucket...so I bought a second. It hasnt been a week and he was eating and swimming and hiding...but today I go to feed my fish and he didnt even eat. hes just sitting in a hiding spot breathing kind of rapidly. All my parameters are fine I just did a water change on monday and added salt. What could the problem be? Or am I just stressing over nothing.

jbeining75
02-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Usually rapid breathing is a sign of a shortage of oxygen in the tank or some type of poisoning like ammonia, nitrite, or chlorine poisoning.... Are you sure your levels are fine.......???? Do you have an airstone in the tank... What size tank and what size filtration.....????

ESaputo
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I have a 40 gallon hex and a Rena Xp series canister. I have two different stones. One is about 6 inches and the other is a bubbler that about 20-24 inches. My air pump is rated for a 125 gallon tank. My other gouramis are absolutely fine. I also notice some sort of bloating directly behind his gills. I just checked my readings again and here they are

Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
PH: 7.5

ESaputo
02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
So I changed about 10 % of water and also gave my gourami a 15 minute salt bath because it appears he has popeye. How often should I do so? Im getting so frustrated...

ESaputo
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I moved him to a hospital tank becuase it looked like he had popeye that was caused by some dropsy. He passed away last night.

snapdragon9
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
At work we have been having troubles with our powder blue/irridescent dwarf tank. I have heard that many dwarfs from wholesale fisheries come form a dilluted stock, and this may be a reason why so many don't make it out of the shop.

Adrian
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I have 4 dwarfs. 3 females, 1 male. He's one happy gourami. Since gourami's for the most part are labrinth fish, meaning they can breath air from the surface, they don't need an airstone per se, but they do need good quality water. Also, they are very prone to disease and illnesses do to poor water or other fish.

You must make sure that whenever you introduce a new fish to your tank, that you qt it before putting it in with gouramis, or else it may come down with whatever illness is present.

Hope that helps.

Adrian:c7:

Pr0eve
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
yes, Dwarf Gouramis are not fish for the beginner. you have to keep your water clean clean clean. Dwarf Gouramis are become my favored fish lol..

Females I need females,, lol

ESaputo
02-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Ive quickly realized that they arent the beginner fish hehe. but I have managed to keep my powder, fire, and dwarf gourami all in great health and spirits. anyone have any other tips?